About building julia

Hi,

I’ve decided to build new julia 0.6. I’ve made a few changes in julia.spec but not much since many extra sources are still valid for this new version of julia.

By now, I would like to ask why I’m having an error in the configure phase as if gcc was not able to generate executable files.

checking if c compiler .....no

I have task-c-devel and task-c+±devel installed.

Googling around I’ve found a comment on the fact that the gcc is not able to generate 32bits executables.
Why, if so, would the building process try to generate 32bits executables?

Thanks

You may try with:

urpmi --buildrequires julia.spec

from inside the directory containing julia.spec file.

Ok, but I’ve already done this. I just don’t understand why, in the configure phase, it is said that c compilers can’t create executables …

1 Like

It usually happened when you pass some build flag to compiler in a way not compatible with configure programs. I can’t say more without see the spec. However I see @TGP recently update the package on github repo.

Great! I guess I’ll take my chances with scilab then.

I tried with scilab a couple of mouths ago and it’s little hared because it requires to update some other packages too. Also building stage ends with an error I can’t get rid of because of I have not enough knowledge about ocaml language :slightly_frowning_face:. Here is the error I got:

File "stringLexer.mll", line 25, characters 5-17:
Error: Unbound module StringParser
make[3]: *** [Makefile:3778: src/xml2modelica/stringLexer.mli] Error 2

File "src/modelica_compiler/instantiation.mli", line 40, characters 25-51:
Error: Unbound module Compilation
make[3]: *** [Makefile:3769: src/modelica_compiler/instantiation.cmi] Error 2

I’ll push all specs on github ASAP so we can collaborate to make it together, if you wish. :slight_smile:

It seems to me this is related to eigen packages because of this,

https://lists.fedoraproject.org/archives/list/devel@lists.fedoraproject.org/thread/XF7V663PW764K35BXI74UXUONZM5ZTGS/

In OMV LX 3.02, I’ve found eigen2 and eigen 3 devel to be installed in MCC. Isn’t it strange to have two versions of the same package?

The second error I could find connections to Ocaml. I’m not even a beginner in OCaml but let’s see if there is something to be done with a few blind trials …

Sure! Let me know when (and where) this is going to be available for download.

1 Like

That’s interesting however now version 3.3.3 is in the repo and scilab requires a version grater than 3.3.2.

Not so much if the two version are not compatible. It the same ad GTK (version 2 and 3) or Qt (version 4 and 5). It depend by packages still requiring old version of eigen.

It related to OCaml, I hope there not need to update it too.

I meant, usually a package has a regular and a devel package, both at the same version. Eigen has a regular package at version 2 and a devel package at version 3. If it is to keep both versions I would expect to have eigen regular and devel packages for versions 2 and 3.

… and lib64eigen-devel which contains version 1 of eigen. That is not bad because as they claim of the official site Eigen is a pure template library defined in the headers so only header is needed. There are not binary packages, even if the name of eigen2 package is not the best.

Ok.

Sorry to say that, but i do not have time nor skills for now to fix Julia package.

Here are the logs:
https://abf.openmandriva.org/build_lists/121140

1 Like

Ok.I’ll look for an alternative for julia meanwhile.

Is actually julia not working in 3.0?

It used to work. I installed it just after it was published by Crispian (left the distro) but, after “an accident”, I had to reinstall the whole system (another issue). Now, when I try to install julia I get,

$ urpmi julia
A requested package cannot be installed:
julia-0.6.0-0.1.pre.alpha-omv2015.0.x86_64 (due to unsatisfied libLLVMBitWriter.so.3.9()(64bit))
Continue installation anyway? (Y/n)

Thus, julia in 3.0 not only is outdated but also can’t be installed. It seems reasonable to build an updated version of julia.

In the log provided by TPG, I see this error message:

make[2]: Os: Command not found

Is it something important? I could not see (grep -r " Os ") any instance of such “Os” command in the build directory julia-0.6.0.

There isn’t and shouldn’t be a “Os” command… However, “-Os” is a compiler flag we use by default (“optimize for size”).
Looks like some deranged Makefile cuts out the compiler and the “-” and tries to run whatever compiler flags are being passed.
julia works on cooker btw - probably just backporting what we have there will do the trick.

I looked at cooker repositories and found out that julia is outdated. There we still have the pre-alpha version. The " Os" command problem happens when one tries to build the 0.6.0 version.

The issues is not in julia source but in dsfmt. Because it is a separate source it can be packages separately so no more problem with further version of julia. However it needs to some patches in order to obtain a shared library.

Postedit: dSFMT compiles as a standalone shared library here. I’ll post on ABF next days … :slight_smile: .

I’m very new in this building side of OMV. Mandian, why do you say the problem is dsfmt? There are errors in TPG log like,

$ userdel command not found

is this related to dsfmt? How?