5.0 not starting sddm display manager

Hello,
I have used LX 4 for a while. I then installed 5.0 to replace this, keeping old /home partition. When I boot it, I get the graphical screen with flower for boot options. But then it has error
failed to start systemd-vconsole-setup.service
Looking through error logs, just before that it had
Loadkeys unable to load file us

/etc/vconsole.conf is often culprit, according to web search, but that file seems correct.

I can select console mode when booting, and then when I look in /usr/share, there is no subdirectory called either kbd or keymaps, which is where I find keymaps in other distros.

• _OpenMandriva Lx version:_5.0
  • Desktop environment (KDE, LXQT…): Plasma

Keymaps should be in /usr/lib/kbd. You might also look in /etc/vconsole.conf and /usr/share/factory/etc/vconsole.conf. My /etc/vconsole.conf looks like this:

$ cat /etc/vconsole.conf
KEYMAP=us

I am using US kbd. If you are unable to solve this you could post logs here such as output of:

$ journalctl --boot --unit systemd-vconsole-setup.service

Hope this is helpful.

I did a test where on a computer with US kbd where I set kbd in /etc/vconsole.conf to de and then ran:

$ sudo dracut -f

$ sudo update-grub2

and rebooted. I could not log in to VT because the kbd was incorrect (de instead of us for me). Then I reversed the process and set /etc/vconsole.conf to us and ran the sudo dracut -f and then sudo update-grub2 and rebooted. Then I could login to VT because the kbd setting in vconsole.conf matches my actual kbd.

So possible, steps to fix this are:

1. Set kbd in /etc/vconsole.conf
  2. sudo dracut -f
  3. sudo update-grub2
  4. reboot

This would work on the booted kernel only. If user has other kernels then to correct this on those:

$ sudo dracut -f /boot/initrd-$version.img $version

where $version is taken exactly from one of:

$ ls -1 /lib/modules

and then sudo update-grub2

Note: possible steps means maybe, or I think this may work. I posted a question about this with OM devs because this is an issue that occurs occasionally.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.