What do you thinks is happening to OMA popularity?

Hi! I’m evaluating a new distro for me. I’ve been using Fedora since the version 22 but I want to change. Since I have great memories of Mandrake and Mandriva, I look both distro that came out from there. But I found the today on Distrowatch OMA is on the last position.

What do you think this is happening?

Regards!
openMandriva

1 Like

Probably the disconnect between what users want and what is actually being done. See this thread for instance and then read the Cooker fourm list or read logs of the TC-meetings.

3 Likes

OMA needs to find a niche to survive. There are plenty of distros that aim to be user friendly, and OM is just another one of those (a really good one btw, but it’s just not enough). There are just too many options.
OpenMandriva needs to focus on something new, original, and see what the market need but don’t get. There must be a differential, otherwise why would people pay attention to OM when we have Ubuntu, Mint or even Mageia with much bigger communities? :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

4 Likes

Well. Distrowatch is not a good or trustworthy source of distro popularity. They just count only clicks on own website. So if someone starts clicking on the distrowatch on openmandriva often and also change the IP addresses then you can land even in the top five. Possible but for what? Many people know that this popularity ranking is irrelevant. BSD disto TrueOS is more popular than OpenSUSE? Well… ReactOS on 17th…Wat?

2 Likes

Yes I know that Distrowatch is not a the absolutely truth about the active users on a distro but I think it’s still a reference to see what it’s happening. Thanks for your answer!

1 Like

I think you’re right. Each Distro needs to find a niche, because today it’s not enough just t have a nice installer or a nice desktop theme most of them already have that. Thanks for your answer!

1 Like

Interesting point! Thanks for your answer!.

1 Like

Like anything in the market place exposure to the masses is critical , it doesn’t matter how good the product is
if no one knows about it . Ease of use is most important for the new as well as vets , that was the big
attraction with Mandrake it’s intuitive character. Uniqueness is also an attractive quality. Having really
cool stuff the others don’t.

1 Like

That’s right! I also think that. I also think, I don’t know if it’s just me since I’m a webdeveloper, but the “image” you show it’s really important. If you go to the site of Antergos or EndLess OS their sites have a much attractive looks than OMA’s site has. I’m goin to give some try to OMA to see how I feel in it. Thanks for your answer

1 Like

If the spirit moves we do need help in areas where you have knowledge and skills.

1 Like

Some good points being made in this thread. We really need help with publicity and improving communications with Linux world.

We also need more action/participation on the part of the user community.

We need users to make more of an effort to interact with our developer community, and, among other things, simply tell developers what users really need and want.

2 Likes

Welcome @grevilla to OpenMandriva and the OM forum. Hope you enjoy your time here.

If you feel the wish to participate in any capacity there are many things we need help with.

Edit: If I were good at this perhaps this would have been my first post in this thread… :persevere:

1 Like

One more thing that needs pointing out is that distrowatch stats go up whenever news are announced, and then tend to fade.
We haven’t made a release in a while, and we’re generally horrible at getting our other news picked up. No news posted = bad Distrowatch rating.

2 Likes

Anyway, welcome to @grevilla

2 Likes

Thanks for the welcoming! this reply is from my new installation of OMA. Even when I got some problems to get the installation done, it’s looks really nice, and in feels more faster than my Fedora. Regards

Thanks!

That’s makes sense for me. Thanks for your message

One Like :heart: is not enough.
IMO it deserves many more.

2 Likes

Not really true.
OpenMandriva excellent developers (the few still active) should do their work (the work they freely chose to do btw) and let the others who are excellent as well in their own area of competence the possibility to do their one.
When you go straight away like a cannonball wearing blinders not listening nor coordinating with anyone you can only get failures.
That’s not an opinion that’s a fact.

1 Like

Screenshot_20180528_161608