Upgrading from 3.0 to 4.0 (cooker)

Is this maybe a missing libGL or OpenGL package? I checked for and have installed lib64glu1, lib64gl1, and lib64glapi0.

$ glxinfo
Error: unable to open display

I don’t know if that is normal because X isn’t running or something else. I did find missing fcitx (don’t know why I would need that) and importantly when that installed I discovered locale packages were not installed. So some key packages did get missed. A missing package is, to me at least, a possibility.

Another thing is it does not matter if x11-driver-video-vboxvideo is installed or not it does not boot either way.

These are screen shots of some of Xorg.0.log with ‘x11-driver-video-vboxvideo’. I believe we see the vboxvideo driver is not loaded and modesetting is used anyway:

Last screen shot shows that vboxvido is installed even though the log shows it as “does not exist”. There may be some relevant info in xorg-session.log also. I can post via screen-shot if requested.

Post-edit: Opps. Forgot my trademark.

Dadgummit!

:monkey:

Are we (mostly me) are missing something basic and something I probably don’t know about very well. But could a key to the boot issue be the it will not boot if I add multi-user.target to boot parameters? But it will boot is I use 3? And the fact that after:

$ sudo chown username:groupname ~/.Xauthority

I still am getting with startx:

xauth: file /home/ben79/.serverauthxxxx does not exist

just wondering. Maybe reaching now.

Dog :dog2: gone it!

:hear_no_evil::see_no_evil::speak_no_evil:

Thanks @ben79
From your experience is a 20 GB virtual hard disk big enough in your opinion ?
WDYT is better for the testing right now, the Plasma ISO or the LXQt ISO ?

1 Like

Yes, 20 GB should be plenty. (At this time).

I’ve only tried using the Plasma ISO but in view of the boot issue with that maybe the LXQt ISO is worth a try. I’ll probably try myself.

1 Like

Thanks @ben79

1 Like

I forgot something about OM and VBox. I use manual partitioning otherwise it makes giant swap partitions and swap is not even used these days for most of us.

I set my VM’s for install to 4 GB memory (3 GB for running after install) and make a 300 MB /boot/efi 2 GB swap and rest for /. You can also make a home partition if you want but I don’t for VBox.

Post-edit: Specifically I do this in VBox:

300 MB fat32 /boot/efi
18130 MB ext4 /
2048 MB linux-swap

Worth noting both of my daily computers have 520 GB SSD’s and notebook has 12 GB memory, desktop has 16 GB memory.

1 Like

Same here.
But useful to know tip for all the users.
:+1:

1 Like

In that vein it is worth mentioning that while we are working on trying to get this to work what I do is a create a Lx 3 VM and update it. Then I clone that VM and run the script on the clone so I can keep cloning a fully updated ready to go system after every failed attempt with the script.

1 Like

This is OT but I can’t resist:

Holy Crap, in the LXQt desktop the missing icons on the desktop still has not been fixed??? After what a year and half? Two years? (It seems like to me…)

Post-edit: Posted without brain fully engaged. Posted about ISO # 1701 after install and before updating. Updating might include a fix for this. We shall see shortly. This was a well know issue at the time ISO # 1701 was built.

Naaah…
The bug is still there :confused:
ISO 1701 fully updated right now.

Postedit:
I’m looking for an old topic about LXQt where I published the icons. No lucky yet… @ben79 would you help me please if you happen to have some spare time? TY very much.

Post-postedit:
Nevermind, I found it :slight_smile:

1 Like

Running the script on a VBox LXQt system got same result as it did on a Plasma5 system. Boot stops at “Switch root”. I did not investigate much this time as I believe I’ve been there done that. If @bero wants any more info or tests I’m sure he will ask. And I will happily comply.

Dog :dog2: gone it!

:monkey_face:

For anyone doing this with a LXQt install from ISO 1701 try from Install rather than Live as you will get a bigger, easier to work with Calamares window.