The correct procedure to re-install system

In live mode not always you have the connection. It may be the reason why also calamares often complains about “no internet connection available” both from live and from “Install” ISO menu.
This bug / half-bug / non-bug / not-well-working-thing has already been reported in the past. Like a number of other stuff, it has been ignored.

It’s curious that you Ben did not notice before. Lucky man :wink:

Postedit:

No surprise. Randomware here :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Got the uncomfortable feeling that I am not be taken serious…

And what I’m saying is:

1. It is not a bug. Again the install script requires the internet connection for the step ‘packages’. It will give the “No internet connection” error every time. This isn’t a random error or a mistake.

2. Of course I’ve seen it. I’ve never not seen it in any instance where I tried to install without internet connection.

3. If there is a bug it is that we allow ISO’s with the ‘Install’ option with no way for wifi computers to connect to the internet under ‘Install’. That’s why wifi users would want to install form ‘Live’ with an internet connection established.

4. Do we have this adequately noted in Release Notes? I just re-read Lx 3.02 Release Notes and I don’t see anything about this but we obviously need to get that in. So I’m going to add something to after I do a test install without internet to see what minor differences there are. As I recall the only difference is that there are some packages that don’t get removed like 3 or 5 packages.

I can assure you that I am serious. Am I wasting my time?

I wasn’t responding on your comment but on rugyada’s :
“No surprise. Randomware here” :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Ok :grin:
And what I’m saying is that ISO in live mode should have internet connection automatically.
It’s not the case currently (currently but since long time). As I installed a lot of ISOs, I could notice it many times. Rebooting the live ISO usually solved, but sometimes it took several attempts.

That’s why I was joking about randomware, because it happens random without any good reason. @AnalogueMan
Sorry for misunderstanding.

I don’t see this at all when I run ISO ‘Live’ network connection is always there, it only does not connect on computers that use wifi which of course requires a password. If you are seeing ISO in ‘Live’ not connecting to wired internet there should be a bug report.

Yes, it’s that.

To clarify: The Calamares Installer step ‘packages’ is what requires internet. ‘packages’ does 2 things only one of which requires internet.

1. ‘urpmi.update -a’

2. ‘urpme calamares console-setup drakx-finish-install drakx-installer-matchbox squashfs-tools’

Obviously ‘urpme’ doesn’t need internet. So if developers would eliminate the ‘urpmi.update -a’ then the installer wouldn’t need an internet connection. And this is a kind of redundant step that will be done after install the first time discover-update runs. Or first time user runs ‘urpmi --auto-update’.

1 Like

OK that’s not a small bug that’s a major bug. Then there should be a bug report.

As you know I do a lot of installs on multiple computers and for me the ISO does automatically connect to internet in ‘Live’ mode every time on a wired connection. Obviously it can’t do that in the case of a wifi computer. Though the connection is there, for wifi, for security reasons, there must be user intervention.

If the internet - install issue needs more discussion I would suggest a new thread for that purpose.

1 Like

For your information : I NEVER use WiFi, I ALWAYS have a wired connection to the internet.
Still faced that “no connection to the internet” a few times when trying to install that latest version.

Can we close this thread? Again if there is an issue with Calamares not seeing an Internet connection that needs a new thread. This is kind of important because the Lx 3.03 ISO’s are using a different compression method. If there are issues like this they need to be reported correctly not buried in a thread about another issue.

Edit: I am closing this thread. If there is still an issue about re-installing the system please start a new thread.

1 Like