The correct procedure to re-install system

Hello,

• _OpenMandriva Lx version:_Lx 3.0

• _Desktop environment (KDE, LXQT…):_KDE kernel 4.11.1 x86_64

• Description of the issue (screenshots if relevant):

• Relevant informations (hardware involved, software version, logs or output…):

To get rid of those update fails, I was advised to install the latest version, so I will do that.
But I have never done that when the /home is on a separate partition which is the case.
What is the correct procedure to install? Do I first have to install the complete system, which is / and /home on the partition where I have my / now? And then simply delete its /home content?
This, because I already have my /home on a different partition (labeled Mandriva Home).
Thanks in advance.

1 Like

Hi,
there are several ways to do that, mainly two. In any case you must use manual partitioning (*). Then, you can choose the solution that best meets your needs.
1- mount the root partition ( / ) in a free partition and the home directory in your current home partition
2- install all the system in free partition and mount the current home partition to, let’s say, /home2. After having booted your new system, you can link the needed directories (like ~/Documents, ~/Images, …) that are actually in /home2/~/ to the new home.

1 is simpler but might create desktop config issues
2 is less simple but preserves the stability of your new system. I always choose this second way.

(*) personally, I prefer to avoid the simple upgrade of the ancient system thus letting the possibility to reboot it if something comes wrong with the new system.

2 Likes

3- backup your home folder somewhere (another data partition, external storage device, etc),
then let the installer format / and /home (keeping the mount points)
then import your documents and files.

1 Like

Usually I put the /home in a separate partition so I have not to format this at each installation. So during installation I only format / to keep the new system clean, and assign the mount point /home to the home partition but without format it.

Let’s say that usually what is going to mess the new system when keeping the /home not formatted are all those config/hidden files.
I had luck in re-install system onto the existant one keeping my /home (not format) by moving the hidden files into folders behind ( I mean under ) their own directories so that they will not affect new configuration.

1 Like

@AnalogueMan
You may want to edit the topic title adding something like: The correct procedure → to re-install system
or what you believe is the best meaningful.

This is to help search in the future :wink:

Ah, AnalogueMan, as you can see, there are many correct procedures.

If you are in a position to reinstall anyway why not try to update existing system first. I think you will see that what I have continually said is that the urpmi errors you see are merely telling user that existing packages are going to be removed and replaced with packages with slightly different names. The only exception I can remember is KUser. KUser will be uninstalled and not replaced. However KUser is not installed in a new system either so, no difference. (KUser is still version 16.0.8 whereas other KApps packages are on version 17.x.x).

What do you have to lose?

Edit: KUser is dead upstream. AFAIK.

1 Like

The above being said there is more to this particular update than just one time running ‘urpmi --auto-update’. I was able to figure it out simply by reading the error messages. There is this. If anyone ever asks I have the tested procedure to do this update still.

1 Like

“You may want to edit the topic title adding something like: The correct procedure --> to re-install system_
_or what you believe is the best meaningful”

I am afraid that this is no longer possible.

1 Like

"If you are in a position to reinstall anyway why not try to update existing system first. "
But I did try that first, resulting in a lot of errors.
So I got the advise here of one of the forum members (was it you?) do do a complete reinstall with the latest version.

I think that is what I am going to do…

Ok, I do.
Please tell me if it’s ok or needs of further editing.

Change it according to your suggestion please.

Would be nice if we knew if reinstalling system worked OK? Please let us know results.

1 Like

First I did download and burned on DVD the latest vetsion. Then I tried to start the live session which booted without any problems.
But when I clicked on the install icon I got a complained that there was no internet connection (which is certainly the case!).
Tried a new live sesion several times but every time OM complains about “no internet connection available”. I stopped.:confused:

Yes, it happens too much often imho. However I’d suggest to try again a few more times until a lucky one it stops complaining. You can see also here that calamares at random complains about the most strange reasons :stuck_out_tongue:

OR
you can create on the fly a new connection: Add new connection, the + button in panel network plasmoid.

Nothing that cannot be easily resolved, yet boring…

I don’t understand this? Don’t you normally connect to the Internet when using a ‘Live’ ISO?

Well normally yes it does. And when I got that message I tried during the live mode to start Firefox
also without success. So I concluded, after trying a second time using the live DVD and again facing that stupid problem, to quit.
But after your and rugyada’s comments, I gave it this afternoon another try and to my surprise everything suddenly went smooth and I could finally reinstal OMA :grin: .
Did some extra steps to get my /home mounted to /. Labelled both the home and the root partition,
then used fstab to insert that labelled home and mount it to /home.
If somebody is interested I will give the complete steps…
At this moment I now have to update the system hoping for “no problems” this time…:worried:

This sounds like doing something the hard way. It’s very easy and simple to use ‘Manual Partitioning’ to have Calamares install with separate / and /home partitions requiring no extra steps. And certainly no need to edit ‘/etc/fstab’. The worry here is that when users over complicate something simple it tends to lead to problems down the road.

And yes you can use existing / and /home from previous install of Lx 3. You just format / and don’t format /home.