Some bugs in OMLX 4 alpha 1

That’s unfortunate. It is easier to diagnose problems if users tell us exactly what they did step by step otherwise you leave us guessing as to what you did.

I notice the error messages say that the partition is “Device or resource busy”. Are you trying to create a swap on an existing swap partition?

No. This device has no partition at all. Furthermore, I guess no matter the partition it could have, the installer should erase everything and create another partition table, etc, isn’t it? I think someone has said installation was not possible in live mode but I cannot remember exactly who and where I read this.

Sorry you are having troubles. Yes, of course, almost everyone boots to ‘Live’ and installs with the “Install” icon on the Live desktop. Only one other person that I know of has reported any problem with partitioning. That is in post #2 of this thread and we still don’t know exactly what and how he did what he did so so far no one can help in that situation.

Remember to post screen shots of every detail of how you are partitioning. Also run Calamares from Konsole and copy and paste the output to a file and attach the file here. Run Calamares like:

$ pkexec /usr/bin/calamares -d

Fortunately or not, for some unknown reason, partitioning worked today. Really sorry not being able to provide more information on why it didn’t work and why it worked now.

But I’m still not been able to use OM LX 4.0 alpha1 yet. Installation seemed to go nicely but it freezed when I got “installation completed” message. I clicked on “restart now” and it freezed.

I turned the computer off pushing the start button. Upon turning it on again I reached the login window. But after providing password and seeing the “greater than” sign, the system freezed again.

Tried again in failsafe mode. Although the terminal was open, the system login signs did not stopped. Since nouveau was on and this is a hybrid graphic computer, I tried blacklisting nouveau at /etc/default/grub. Any attempt to reboot yields the system to freeze and after forcing rebooting via start button did not alter anything.

So that is it: not able yet to login at OM LX 4.0. Maybe I’d better try another fresh install …

urpmi does not work. Please check. Thanks…

Oh, I’ve checked. Lots and lots of checking on this and you are absolutely right urpmi does not work in OM Lx 4.0 Alpha1. But there is a workaround.

From the release announcement:

Big changes happened, such as we switched to RPMv4, and dnf as software package manager.

From Release Notes " OpenMandriva Lx 4.0 is a new release. In order to keep current with latest changes in Linux, computer security issues, and computer code writing there are major changes in OM Lx4. "
One of those changes is described in Release Notes>Package Management.

For brief explanation of dnf.

1 Like

No worries, glad you got it sorted. Remember though if it happens again to get screen shots and/or Konsole output. Also we have upgraded Calamares to include an install log. I’ll discuss that more here after I try it myself.

Tried new fresh installation from live mode. After completed the system freezes and does not reboot. After manually restarting, can’t login because system freezes.
Below, journalctl

Tried Aldo in recovery mode:

1 Like

Sorry, in the last post first picture was taken in a attempt to boot in recovery mode, and the second picture was taken trying to install OM LX 4.0 without getting the live mode (second option in live CD).

1 Like

I think I have problems because this is hybrid graphic computer (not Optimus technology). However, I tried blacklisting nouveau in /etc/default/grub and it did not worked as I described above.

1 Like

Do not do this (at least in the alpha1 release). As far as I know, Cooker does not yet have proprietary drivers for NVIDIA.
So if you are doing blacklist of nouveau drivers, you are inevitably depriving yourself of the ability to run the system. Just for alpha1 time try use nouveau drivers, in future proprietary drivers will be built, then you will be able to switch over.

1 Like

For hybrid graphics users is there a way to tell system to boot to Intel graphics (or whatever they have) instead of nVidia (or what ever they have)? Is there a way to tell system “don’t use GPU 1” or whatever? It would seem like there has to be a way to do this as it would be borderline stupid to not be able to do this.

In fact, this is not supposed to happen in this case. This is a hybrid graphics with an integrated iGPU provided by a intel video card, and a dedicated dGPU provided by the Nvidia video card. It means one can safely blacklist nouveau and Nvidia modules because the whole thing is going to be supported by the intel video card and its drivers.

I had problems with OM LX 3.03 CD live and those problems were bypassed editing grub line to blacklist nouveau (as in the Errata for OM LX 3.03 and OM LX 4.0). However, as I mention in another topic, the OM LX 4.0 live CD did not show any problem to boot in live mode, no matter if I blacklist nouveau or not, thus I thought this new live CD was somehow able to handle hybrid graphics notebooks. Now I think it still has weaknesses with such hybrid graphics notebooks …

1 Like

I doubt it has any provision for hybrid graphics at all. I don’t recall ever seeing developers discussing “How are we going to handle hybrid graphics” but I may have missed it.

I don’t know if you will get this resolved unless you go on IRC and have a session with some of the developers.

@adelson.oliveira in your case one thing I don’t understand is there a way to get your computer working with only one GPU enabled. Can you do this in BIOS? It would seem kind of dumb to build a computer like that and then not provide a way to turn one GPU off for certain situations. That would be beyond stupid to the point of “I want my money back”.

Alternatively is there a way to do this in Linux with a boot parameter. Seems like there should be. I don’t mean a parameter for video driver I mean a parameter to turn one graphics hw or other completely off and/or force the use of a certain graphics hw.

Then once you get it working with one GPU or the other then you can work on getting the hybrid bits to work.

I’ve seen no BIOS option for video cards. It seems that if I blacklist nouveau and no other driver is available, all graphics support will be provided by the integrated GPU. The computer does not miss the dedicated GPU.
So far, I’m not sure I did It right, I’ll try again…

1 Like

I’m wondering if setting the root partition / => /dev/sdb instead of /dev/sda has something to do with the error message
“Failed to switch root:…”
on the picture above, there one can read that the sysroot seems to not belong to a OS tree.

1 Like

About switch root problem found this
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://ask.fedoraproject.org/en/question/112797/specified-switch-root-path-sysroot-does-not-seem-to-be-an-os-tree/&ved=2ahUKEwjLjJuj6dbfAhWKqZAKHSSsAfkQFjAAegQIBRAB&usg=AOvVaw3ssz402fmQSiWhjL_hquRf

1 Like

No.

You are going to have to get developers involved to get this solved.

1 Like

@adelson.oliveira above you post a screenshot of journalctl. Can’t you put that in a file and attach the file here?
Also it would be helpful to post step by step what you did during install especially partitioning. Screen-shots of your partition set up would be good.

Also what does this mean? Tried Aldo in recovery mode: