Some bugs in OMLX 4 alpha 1

Hi
Below are few bugs in OMLX4 alpha 1 tested on thinkpad t430 (i5-3320M/Intel HD4000 graphics).

1. Impossible to mount pendrive in Dolphin with exFAT file system under live ISO session and under installed OMLX 4 alpha on SSD drive (encrypted installation, exfat packages are installed) which result in error message:
    An error occurred while accessing ‘Home’, the system responded: The requested operation has failed: Error mounting /dev/sdc1 at /media/live/FLASH DRIVE: unknown filesystem type ‘exfat’

2. Impossible to mount encrypted hard drive with XFS file system under installed OMLX 4 alpha on another SSD drive (encrypted installation) in Dolphin.

Under live ISO session is possibble to mount this encrypted hard drive (works without problems) but with error message in Dolphin:
An error occurred while accessing ‘Home’, the system responded: The device is already mounted: Device /dev/dm-0 is already mounted at `/media/live/Volume_label’.

1. Libre Office doesn’t recognize installed Java Environment.

2. There is no way to switch to OpenGL and OpenCL in Libre Office (no switch/inactive).

3. Very small fonts in Libre Office menu.

4. Firefox sometimes works strange. Doesn’t load the web pages and is impossible to refresh these blank pages. Restarting Firefox is the only solution.

5. System doesn’t boot after system upgrade with kernel-release-desktop-4.19.12-1omv4000 (with 4.19.8 works well).

Anyway OMLX4 looks promising :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hi, After a long wait I installed OM 4.0 for around 8 months OMV did not work.
Installation was fine but some issues I point out still there as I understood.

Some I identified. Still 12 hours not passed.

1. Still partitioning does not work properly. 1st installation worked correctly. But second try did not.
    /, Home, swap did not work correctly.

2. I installed sweeper. System Crashed.

3. Foxconn G31MX and Nvidia Gforce 210 boot Screen crash while booting. Shutdown OK. errors while changing boot Screen.

4. Is the shell working correctly. Eg: ifconfig?

5. lack of applications availability…

Previous post.
https://forum3.openmandriva.org/t/what-i-expect-in-om-4-0/1821

Can not Hide HDD partions. Asking password on login.
Hide

After update windows boot does not show. fixed it with update-grub2

General information for all users:

ifconfig? In shell try nmcli (cli for NetworkManager).

The usual applies ‘nmcli --help’ and or ‘man nmcli’ and user should have more than enough to manage most common networking tasks. And if there are specialized tasks an internet search will likely find something for you.

NetworkManager gui is in SystemSettings>Network>Connection. It also can be opened from the network icon in System Tray. To find look for icon in upper right hand corner of that window. If you hover mouse over icon it will say ‘Configure Network Connections’. As you would expect a person can do much more from command line than from gui with NetworkManager.

Post-edit: Uh, most everything above was edited. Did not like what I first wrote.

1 Like

Thanks, Order of instillation

1st instillation: deleted old ext4 partitions then created /, home, swap done.
2nd instillation: deleted swap, created swap, deleted home, created home, deleted /, created / done.

if i done any changers to the system settings, after reboot system ask to mount partitions. I have to put the password.

Re: Very small fonts in Libre Office menu.

I think menu font size is ok.

Time option does not save reset (Enable) when booting again.
I want to disable like below

Install libreoffice-kde5. I think this will become a default package for a future version of LO.

If I try to run Kmail/Kontact/Korganizer, I get “The Akonadi personal information management service is not operational.” If I run akonadictl start, it says it couldn’t find mysql-global.conf, although that is present in /etc/akonadi.

1 Like

Confirmed, this needs a bug report.

Confirmed, this needs a bug report.

I’m new to this forum and to forums in general. Is the bug report something I need to do, and if so, how do I do it? Thanks!

1 Like

Can’t reproduce. I do lots of installs and I don’t have issues creating new partitions with manual partitioning or with using existing partitions using manual partitioning.

Can’t reproduce. Installed and ran here with no crash.

I don’t understand the description.

Answered above. We now are using nmcli not ifconfig.

This is opinion.

Post-edit: Welcome @takijeden.ninja to OpenMandriva forum and to OMA.

Thanks for posting the report. Answers are to best of my ability or knowledge level as I’m another user not a developer.

I can’t reproduce that here, kernel 4.19.12 is working for me on multiple computers and in VBox.

Just formatted a flash drive with exfat and it does not mount. I believe that confirms this issue.

What I don’t know is if this is expected behavior? So asked on IRC and @bero tells us that this does not work at this time because of possible patent issues. This is under investigation/discussion at this time. FWIW @bero is one of our ober developers and current President of OMA.

This one I’m not qualified to answer.

Believe this confirms:

# alternatives --config java

There is 1 program that provides 'java'.

Selection    Command
-----------------------------------------------
*+ 1           /usr/lib/jvm/jre-1.8.0-openjdk.x86_64/bin/java

If I correctly understand the point here it says OpenCL is not used.

Can’t reproduce here. So far I have noticed no issues with FF.

Well then where are my manners? Welcome @jeighdeigh to OpenMandriva forum and to OMA.

For this issue I don’t believe you need to do a bug report but I will check. @Colin is a KMail user and one of our developers and I think he is looking in to this.

Should you need or want to file a bug report you would do so here. For anything at all technical you want to include this. There is also a wiki page “How to report a bug”. Warning: the wiki is very slow right now. This is known and being looked in to. Note: The wiki page does admittedly need some updating and additions, it is a WIP (Work In Progress).

Anything you don’t understand just ask on this forum and someone will try to help.

1 Like

Thanks a lot for the welcome, Ben!

I’ve thought for years that OpenMandriva was one of the most elegant and beautiful Linux distros, and I would very much like to see OM 4 flourish and fly. So thanks for the welcome, and the helpful links. Please do let me know if I need to file the bug report, and I will do my best to do it right.

With respect to the second link you gave, to the bug report tool, I find, when I try to follow the instructions there, that trying to run rpmdrake results in “command not found,” and trying to run “urpmi omv-bug-report” gets me a pop-up that says “Failed to find selected program,” and a gtk warning: “Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: “adwaita”.”

But I will look at the wiki page and try to educate myself.

1 Like

Overall for a first alpha release OM Lx 4.0 Alpha1 seems to be working pretty well from my perspective. Obviously there are issues there always are with an alpha release.

Attempting to get all or most known issues in one location. In addition to above issues:

Live mode does not offer options for localization, keyboard
https://issues.openmandriva.org/show_bug.cgi?id=2397

Feature request for replacement for remove-unused-packages. Needs bug report.

Replacement for draksnapshot. (Package request.) Users have requested.
https://issues.openmandriva.org/show_bug.cgi?id=2399

Configure Desktop crashes. Also user can’t select ‘Desktop’ application seems stuck on ‘Folder View’. Haven’t filed bug report yet partly because I’m trying to define problem better. This makes the application difficult for users to use. (Note this is the utility to set the desktop background not SystemSettings.) Needs bug report.

Post-edit: Removed some things that are either fixed or things I can not document.

1 Like

Thanks for reporting. First ‘rpmdrake’ and ’ urpmi’ were in older versions of OM and are no longer used. Second the package is installed by default so user does not need to install it anyway. I made a post in that thread with new info for OM Lx 4.

Simply open Konsole and run ‘sudo sh /usr/bin/omv-bug-report.sh’ and you’ll see this output:

$ sudo sh /usr/bin/omv-bug-report.sh

omv-bug-report.sh will now collect information about your
system and create the file 'omv-bug-report.log.xz' in the current
directory.  It may take several seconds to run.

Please include the 'omv-bug-report.log.xz' log file when reporting
your bug via the OpenMandriva bugzilla (see issues.openmandriva.org).

Running omv-bug-report.sh...
 complete.

Now to check run ‘ls’ and you’ll something similar to:

$ ls
Desktop  Documents  Downloads  Music  omv-bug-report.log.xz  Pictures  Templates  Videos

The file ‘omv-bug-report.log.xz’ was created and that is what you attach to a bug report. Or possibly you could attach to a forum post or an e-mail.

If you are curious as to what is in the file the .xz means it is a compressed file compressed with xz. The reason it is compressed is to make the file smaller thus easier to upload and download over the Internet. To uncompress it so it is human readable we use the command ‘unxz’:

$ sudo unxz omv-bug-report.log.xz

Now you’ll see:

$ ls
Desktop  Documents  Downloads  Music  omv-bug-report.log  Pictures  Templates  Videos

Now you can open Dolphin and right click on the file and open it with Kwrite or Kate.

1 Like

I am telling things happened. I do not need to tell lies.

Still partitioning does not work properly. 1st installation worked correctly. But second try did not.
/, Home, swap did not work correctly.

1st instillation: deleted old ext4 partitions then created /, home, swap done.
2nd instillation: deleted swap, created swap, deleted home, created home, deleted /, created / done.

2nd installation all are in / partition, root and home

I installed sweeper. System Crashed. try Discover.

Foxconn G31MX and Nvidia Gforce 210 boot Screen crash while booting. Shutdown OK. errors while changing boot Screen.

Nvidia Gforce 210 is a separate VGA. Foxconn G31MX has a onboard VGA Boots plash does not show. While booting… Eg image
4_Bootsplash

This shows while shutting down
0-lp

Is the shell working correctly. Eg: ifconfig? Can not put static ip addresses. Remember I told this in Lx 3.x

lack of applications availability… I need to add more applications. can not do it using Discover.