Some bugs in OMLX 4 alpha 1

Confirmed, this needs a bug report.

I’m new to this forum and to forums in general. Is the bug report something I need to do, and if so, how do I do it? Thanks!

1 Like

Can’t reproduce. I do lots of installs and I don’t have issues creating new partitions with manual partitioning or with using existing partitions using manual partitioning.

Can’t reproduce. Installed and ran here with no crash.

I don’t understand the description.

Answered above. We now are using nmcli not ifconfig.

This is opinion.

Post-edit: Welcome @takijeden.ninja to OpenMandriva forum and to OMA.

Thanks for posting the report. Answers are to best of my ability or knowledge level as I’m another user not a developer.

I can’t reproduce that here, kernel 4.19.12 is working for me on multiple computers and in VBox.

Just formatted a flash drive with exfat and it does not mount. I believe that confirms this issue.

What I don’t know is if this is expected behavior? So asked on IRC and @bero tells us that this does not work at this time because of possible patent issues. This is under investigation/discussion at this time. FWIW @bero is one of our ober developers and current President of OMA.

This one I’m not qualified to answer.

Believe this confirms:

# alternatives --config java

There is 1 program that provides 'java'.

Selection    Command
-----------------------------------------------
*+ 1           /usr/lib/jvm/jre-1.8.0-openjdk.x86_64/bin/java

If I correctly understand the point here it says OpenCL is not used.

Can’t reproduce here. So far I have noticed no issues with FF.

Well then where are my manners? Welcome @jeighdeigh to OpenMandriva forum and to OMA.

For this issue I don’t believe you need to do a bug report but I will check. @Colin is a KMail user and one of our developers and I think he is looking in to this.

Should you need or want to file a bug report you would do so here. For anything at all technical you want to include this. There is also a wiki page “How to report a bug”. Warning: the wiki is very slow right now. This is known and being looked in to. Note: The wiki page does admittedly need some updating and additions, it is a WIP (Work In Progress).

Anything you don’t understand just ask on this forum and someone will try to help.

1 Like

Thanks a lot for the welcome, Ben!

I’ve thought for years that OpenMandriva was one of the most elegant and beautiful Linux distros, and I would very much like to see OM 4 flourish and fly. So thanks for the welcome, and the helpful links. Please do let me know if I need to file the bug report, and I will do my best to do it right.

With respect to the second link you gave, to the bug report tool, I find, when I try to follow the instructions there, that trying to run rpmdrake results in “command not found,” and trying to run “urpmi omv-bug-report” gets me a pop-up that says “Failed to find selected program,” and a gtk warning: “Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: “adwaita”.”

But I will look at the wiki page and try to educate myself.

1 Like

Overall for a first alpha release OM Lx 4.0 Alpha1 seems to be working pretty well from my perspective. Obviously there are issues there always are with an alpha release.

Attempting to get all or most known issues in one location. In addition to above issues:

Live mode does not offer options for localization, keyboard
https://issues.openmandriva.org/show_bug.cgi?id=2397

Feature request for replacement for remove-unused-packages. Needs bug report.

Replacement for draksnapshot. (Package request.) Users have requested.
https://issues.openmandriva.org/show_bug.cgi?id=2399

Configure Desktop crashes. Also user can’t select ‘Desktop’ application seems stuck on ‘Folder View’. Haven’t filed bug report yet partly because I’m trying to define problem better. This makes the application difficult for users to use. (Note this is the utility to set the desktop background not SystemSettings.) Needs bug report.

Post-edit: Removed some things that are either fixed or things I can not document.

1 Like

Thanks for reporting. First ‘rpmdrake’ and ’ urpmi’ were in older versions of OM and are no longer used. Second the package is installed by default so user does not need to install it anyway. I made a post in that thread with new info for OM Lx 4.

Simply open Konsole and run ‘sudo sh /usr/bin/omv-bug-report.sh’ and you’ll see this output:

$ sudo sh /usr/bin/omv-bug-report.sh

omv-bug-report.sh will now collect information about your
system and create the file 'omv-bug-report.log.xz' in the current
directory.  It may take several seconds to run.

Please include the 'omv-bug-report.log.xz' log file when reporting
your bug via the OpenMandriva bugzilla (see issues.openmandriva.org).

Running omv-bug-report.sh...
 complete.

Now to check run ‘ls’ and you’ll something similar to:

$ ls
Desktop  Documents  Downloads  Music  omv-bug-report.log.xz  Pictures  Templates  Videos

The file ‘omv-bug-report.log.xz’ was created and that is what you attach to a bug report. Or possibly you could attach to a forum post or an e-mail.

If you are curious as to what is in the file the .xz means it is a compressed file compressed with xz. The reason it is compressed is to make the file smaller thus easier to upload and download over the Internet. To uncompress it so it is human readable we use the command ‘unxz’:

$ sudo unxz omv-bug-report.log.xz

Now you’ll see:

$ ls
Desktop  Documents  Downloads  Music  omv-bug-report.log  Pictures  Templates  Videos

Now you can open Dolphin and right click on the file and open it with Kwrite or Kate.

1 Like

I am telling things happened. I do not need to tell lies.

Still partitioning does not work properly. 1st installation worked correctly. But second try did not.
/, Home, swap did not work correctly.

1st instillation: deleted old ext4 partitions then created /, home, swap done.
2nd instillation: deleted swap, created swap, deleted home, created home, deleted /, created / done.

2nd installation all are in / partition, root and home

I installed sweeper. System Crashed. try Discover.

Foxconn G31MX and Nvidia Gforce 210 boot Screen crash while booting. Shutdown OK. errors while changing boot Screen.

Nvidia Gforce 210 is a separate VGA. Foxconn G31MX has a onboard VGA Boots plash does not show. While booting… Eg image
4_Bootsplash

This shows while shutting down
0-lp

Is the shell working correctly. Eg: ifconfig? Can not put static ip addresses. Remember I told this in Lx 3.x

lack of applications availability… I need to add more applications. can not do it using Discover.

Thank you!

1 Like

Is the shell working correctly. Eg: ifconfig? Can not put static ip addresses. Remember I told this in Lx 3.x

While NM is used by default ifconfig won’t help you … use nmcli to set whatever you wish on your connection.
OR disable NM , systemd-network of any sort and use own scripts to bring up the network.

lack of applications availability… I need to add more applications. can not do it using Discover.

Discover is ermm … better do not use … try dnfdragona ( icons may look strange right now but should work better )

I don’t get the ‘lack of applications availability’ … do you expect us to install 16k packages by default ?
The default we have right now is even way to bloated.

Still partitioning does not work properly. 1st installation worked correctly. But second try did not.

That one I cannot reproduce … can you tell us what way ar you doing that ?

Foxconn G31MX and Nvidia Gforce 210 boot Screen crash while booting. Shutdown OK. errors while changing boot Screen.

Well Nvidia may or may not work … but is not something we can really fix. ( the closed source packages at least )
So what driver are you using for your Nvidia GPU ?

dnfdragona ( icons may look strange right now but should work better )

I couldn’t find this.

I don’t get the ‘lack of applications availability’ … do you expect us to install 16k packages by default ?

That one I cannot reproduce … can you tell us what way ar you doing that ?

doing a normal installation

Well Nvidia may or may not work … but is not something we can really fix. ( the closed source packages at least )
So what driver are you using for your Nvidia GPU ? Did not change the driver settings.

[dimuthu@pujitha-pc ~]$ su - root
Password:  
[root@pujitha-pc ~]# lspci | grep VGA
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GT218 [GeForce 210] (rev a2)
[root@pujitha-pc ~]# find /dev -group video
/dev/fb0
/dev/dri/card0
[root@pujitha-pc ~]# glxinfo | grep -i vendor
server glx vendor string: SGI
client glx vendor string: Mesa Project and SGI
   Vendor: nouveau (0x10de)
OpenGL vendor string: nouveau
[root@pujitha-pc ~]# egrep -i " connected|card detect|primary dev|Setting driver" /var/log/Xorg.0.log
[    38.085] (II) modeset(0): Output VGA-1 connected
[root@pujitha-pc ~]#  

dnfdragora is not installed by default. I am able to find dnfdragora in Discover or user can install it with:

$ sudo dnf install dnfdragora

For more applications one might wish to enable all repos as main is only repo enabled by default on installed system. How To for dnf repos here.

doing a normal installation

Well … you don’t :slight_smile: You are going manual partitioning which is not ‘normal installation’.

While with along site or erase option the installer calculates predefined values from code or
configuration files , eg: swap size , figuring /boot size on efi , setting right flags for the bootloader ,
formating , setting up right mount points etc , on ‘manual partitioning’ you are on your own.

That means if you forget to set flags , set wrong mount points , sellect wrong size for partitions or
even wrong FS , installtion may break. In that mode you can set as example / on sda , home on sdc , swap
sdb… Allso you can set / ext4 , /home btrfs etc. We cannot guess what you are doing there.

For that matter we need to know ‘what you are doing to get to’ what you call ‘broken point’.

OpenGL vendor string: nouveau

Ok so is the open source driver… However I do not own such a card to test…

dnfdragona ( icons may look strange right now but should work better )

I couldn’t find this.

Is there … Maybe you hit that dnf repos bug. Try to re-enable cooker repos.

1 Like

FYI, There is a difference in the partition arrangement.

Just to clear something up. I have not said anyone here is lying. I believe I respond in a way that shows that I believe what each person has reported is true. That is most certainly my intention. If my explanations are lacking it is because my knowledge level is that of a user not a developer.

For any users with problems related to installing or using the Calamares installer, the partitioner or any module of the Calamares installer you won’t find anyone more knowledgeable than @abucodonosor. Y’all should take advantage of his expertise in. He is known as a top notch problem solver in general.

In all cases with any of us if you don’t understand what is written keep asking questions until someone explains it adequately. I myself sometimes don’t always “get” what a user is saying without prompting.

:speak_no_evil: :hear_no_evil: :see_no_evil:

1 Like

@pujithadimuthu

where is grub installed ?

Anyway that setup is not going to work right and the Distribution you are using won’t matter.
Sooner or later things are starting to break.

If you really want to use Windows on primary partitions and testing / using Linux on extended ones
I would recomand you to use some USB stick as /boot partition for Linux and leve Windows alone.

Also @pujithadimuthu it would be nice you give us full informations.

We cannot guess what ’ did not work correctly ’ exactly means.
We cannot guess your driver setup ( OK now we got an picture of it )
We cannot guess how you installed (even you show us that picture )
… and so on…

I can wild guess cuase there is not much could cause things you see with that setup
but is not the point if you expect us to help you and also fix possible bugs you found , right ?

This:

Impossible to mount encrypted hard drive with XFS file system under installed OMLX 4 alpha on another SSD drive (encrypted installation) in Dolphin.

encrypted how ?

What is wrong telling us:

‘I have HDD1 encrypted with XXX , when I want to mount it under Dolphin I have this message XXXX’

But anyway without you to have the keys or setup for whatever your encrypted with in place , nothing
should just ‘mount that away’ …

1 Like

no Encryption. Yes when installing I took a risk. where is grub installed ? it should be in sda1
I added images do get a better understanding the difference.

This is how I always install.

An attempt to get all bug reports against OM Lx 4.0 alpha1 in one location. New bug reports against OM Lx 4.0 alpha1:

Request for rescue and/or multi-user targets for ISO’s
https://issues.openmandriva.org/show_bug.cgi?id=2402

Replacement for Remove Unused Packages
https://issues.openmandriva.org/show_bug.cgi?id=2403

Plasma shell crash when changing desktop background.
https://issues.openmandriva.org/show_bug.cgi?id=2404

SystemSettings Date & Time asks for password twice.
https://issues.openmandriva.org/show_bug.cgi?id=2405

SystemSettings Date & Time won’t disable NTP.
https://issues.openmandriva.org/show_bug.cgi?id=2406

There probably needs to be a bug report against KMail and/or Akonadi stuff. I’ve been waiting for @Colin to get settled from his holiday escapades to address this one. I don’t use KMail and I prefer for someone that uses it to file the bug report and do any testing.

These in addition to previously file reports:

Kompare - No result is displayed
https://issues.openmandriva.org/show_bug.cgi?id=2401

User can’t install more than one kernel-release-desktop-devel version
https://issues.openmandriva.org/show_bug.cgi?id=2400

Replacement for draksnapshot. (Package request.)
https://issues.openmandriva.org/show_bug.cgi?id=2399

Live mode does not offer options for localization, keyboard
https://issues.openmandriva.org/show_bug.cgi?id=2397

Lx 4 repo enabled in Cooker installation.
https://issues.openmandriva.org/show_bug.cgi?id=2389
Note: This bug # 2389 will be fixed or go away when repos are split for OM Lx 4.0 release.

Note: These seem to be the most relevant for Om Lx 4.0 release. If there are any to add please add them in this thread or let me know and I will add them.

Note: For all open bugs against Cooker go here. Currently there are 19 total.

Post-edit: Lot’s of editing for this post because, well because I said so! :rofl:

:speak_no_evil: :hear_no_evil: :see_no_evil:

1 Like