Rock to Rolling conversion successfully

Tags: #<Tag:0x00007fdded871d60> #<Tag:0x00007fdded871c98> #<Tag:0x00007fdded871bd0> #<Tag:0x00007fdded871b08>

@ben79 published a great how-to convert a Rock system to more cool Rolling system.
I have followed the guide step by step and can confirm it’s working very well.

My experience:

I did install OMLx 4.1 Rock (download from SourceForge)
and performed a full update

Then I open Software Repository Selector and update channel to Rolling

Then I run the command to distro-sync
$ sudo dnf clean all ; dnf clean all ; sudo dnf --allowerasing distro-sync

I answer ‘N’ to console questions (keep your currently-installed version) or just hit enter, as by default the option is set to ‘N’

Then type commands:

$ sudo rpm --rebuilddb -vvv
$ sudo dnf autoremove
$ sudo dnf install plasma-workspace-x11
$ sudo dnf reinstall distro-release-theme

Finally reboot to my brand new Rolling system:

is there any version Rock.V4.2x , or only rolling for instance ?

1 Like

Excellent question, thanks for posting @stephane.

Rock is currently Lx 4.1 it will become Lx 4.2 when Lx 4.2 is released. However this will require users to upgrade their systems with the sudo dnf --allowerasing distro-sync command. And the `disto-sync’ command may need some options added to command string. We will publish the correct or “best” command string to do this at release time.

In other words what happens with Rock is that when there is a new stable release developers literally change the repositories. In this case they will change from OM Lx 4.1 repositories to OM Lx 4.2 repositories.

Is there a way to avoid this? Yes, if user opens ‘Software Repository Selector’ and changes channel from Rock to Release then your repositories will remain at OM Lx 4.1 until you decide to make this change.

Currently Rolling is at Lx 4.2 Alpha and Cooker is at Lx 4.2 Beta. (Rolling will be upgraded to Lx 4.2 Beta very soon. At that time we will also release OM Lx 4.2 Beta ISO’s.)

So the workflow for OpenMandriva releases is Cooker>Rolling>Rock/Release

1. Rock=repositories are automatically switched by developers when there is a new release.

2. Release=repositories stay at same version until user changes them.

Hope this is helpful. Also I hope this is easier to understand than it was to write. :thinking: I can understand if a user may find this confusing.