RELEASING OmLx-3-03: Work required and progress

Jobs that need to be done before final release.
I’m happy to prepare the Blog post unless someone else wants to have a go. I will need help in getting it up to our site though as I have no experience of doing that.
I will also review the release notes and errata. Thanks to Ben79 for updating them.
I will contact Kate and hope that she will sort out the social media stuff.
We need voluteers to be ready to generate torrents and to upload the final isos to Sourceforge
Please say say whether you can help here.
Please communicate anything regarding the release process through this thread

1. Publicity
    Blog Post: Inital draft done
    Available ineditable form here https://pad.openmandriva.org/p/OMLx_3.03

Social Media announcements

Complete: Release Notes Review: Reviewed and minor corrections made
    Complete: Errata Review: Reviewed and corrections made

2. Fixes before Final ISO’s
    a: Fix the new gcc so it builds the gcc-plugins or build them during ISO creation
    TPG notified of the issue
    This is needed because the dkms modules that use gcc will not build without them.
    New kernel build in progress

Rebuild mesa with the lates llvm else opencl will not install
    TPG notified

Fix OMA-Welcome bug (Mandian has issued pull requests).
    Check and update package versions in oma-welcome where required
    Check and update translations in oma-welcome where required
    Translations updated

3. Final ISO’S
    Generate final ISO’s
    QA test the finals for clean boot and basic operation.

4. Pre-Release
    Generate torrents
    Upload to Sourceforge
    Proof and accept final blog post
    Upload Blog post

5. Release
    Make everything visible

2 Likes

Thanks to @rugyada for work on Release Notes and Errata also.

I haven’t yet gotten the KMail note in Release Notes and Errata. Will do that sometime today.

New pull request here.

I also added previous button. I add previous key at translation so if you like it all po/* should be updated.

1 Like

Here’s a start on the blog post. I’ve sent it to rugyada who I hope will put it up on the shared doc app on our site so we can edit/discuss. For the moment it is here.

Get it while it’s hot!
OpenMandriva Lx3.03 is now well seasoned ready to deliver. This release
Lx3.03 is an enhancement and upgrade to the previousl Lx3 releases. With it
you’ll get even faster booting than before; so fast in fact that it’s
sometimes quicker than the BIOS! At the hardware level you’ll get an up-to-
date kernel at 4.13.4-desktop-1omv release and systemd-234 and for your
graphics stack mesa -.1.17.10 and xorg-1.19.3
The main window manager, KDE-PlASMA is updated to 5.10.5 and Frameworks are
at 5.38.
This release will be the last in the 3.00 series and also the last to support
i586. Applications such as wine32 will be supported by providing legacy libraries.
We hope this release will be trouble free but if you run into an problem you
can contact other users on our forums and get help at hhtps://
forums.openmandriva.org or file a bug at https://issues/openmandriva.org.
An editable draft may be found here https://pad.openmandriva.org/p/OMLx_3.03

2 Likes

What about 2014.x branch? It has officially reached its EOL?

1 Like

The previous pull request may broke something in translations. I made a new one to fix this.

1 Like

Compliments and credit to @TPG for Lx 3.03 being where it is and as good as it is. He is the Release Manager for Lx 3.

We should make some kind of statement about this. Are 2014 users still getting updates?

I think last I heard was the 2014 will get only some limited updates like security updates provided upstream and FF and TB and a few others. Also even that would come to an end (EOL) when Lx 4 is first released officially. Maybe we could briefly discuss this in next TC-meeting and come up with a statement.

1 Like

The following paragraph is my contribution to the upcoming blog post for Lx 3.03 release. Also it is either my opinion or meant to be humorous or both. :smiling_imp:

We realize 2014 users tend to be those poor folks that expect Linux OS’s to “just work” instead of being a platform for rapid and major changes like it is today. Come on folks join us in the world of Gee Whiz Linux and install Lx 3.03. So like me your computer time can be filled with things like “Gee Whiz ain’t that amazing!” and of course “Gee Whiz why the $%^*& did that stop working it worked last week?”:dizzy_face:

Aside: In truth I do use Lx 3 daily and like it. My opinion again but it seems like most of the troubles in OpenMandriva Lx 3 have more to do with us being so few in number rather than something inherent in Linux. I am inclined to believe that in Linux things are changing more rapidly and some of these changes seem to be pretty big. I am also of the opinion that this is both good and bad but the good outweighs the bad. :nerd_face:

Aside2: Asides don’t go in the blog post. :imp:

1 Like

Ben, Thanks for your contribution; I appreciate the sentiment but to some this might seem a tiny bit condescending perhaps a little re-working like maybe this would help.

We realise that this marks the end of of support for the 2014 release and for some this will be a sad day as it was a fine release. Don’t be sad though; come on and join us in the world of Gee Whiz Linux and install Lx 3.03. Then your computer time can be filled with things like “Gee Whiz ain’t that amazing!” and of course on the odd occasion "Gee Whiz why the $%^*& did that stop working it worked last week? It’s all that is Linux and much, much more.

Everyone please comment/come up with ideas.
Colin

Testers: New kernel available with also latest gcc (you may already have this from testing repo) Please test that new gcc will now build dkms-virtualbox and dkms-nvidia-current. If both build please vote up new kernel on kahinah assuming new kernel is ok in all other resepects .

Testers: New kernel available with also latest gcc (you may already have this from testing repo) Please test that new gcc will now build dkms-virtualbox and dkms-nvidia-current. If both build please vote up new kernel on kahinah assuming new kernel is ok in all other resepects .

I have tested both and they are ok for me. Note that you need kernel-release-desktop-devel installed for them to build.
This is not pulled in by nvidia-current I’m not sure about dkms-virtualbox

There is no need to vote for new kernel and new gcc are already in main-updates. so far packages seem well working, as far as can tell in a matter on minutes not hours or days…

On the plus side dkms-virtualbox built kernel modules just fine with new gcc. Can’t test nVida, don’t have.

The release is currently delayed due rendering issues associated with some packages no honouring the freetype2 API.
These are being fixed.

Worth to mention is Firefox update to 56.0 version. This update pulls a lot of work that are in progress on rust and cargo packages :slight_smile:

Excellent! I hope all or our users know just how much time and hard work @TPG and @Colin have done on this. Thank you so much.

1 Like