Printer Installation Trouble

Today I tried to install printers on my brand new OMa 4.3 installation, 64-bit, on the release channel.

I could not d it via systemsettings. Having chosen “search for new printer” the comment I get, isthat this is forbidden: “Het is mislukt een lijst van apparaten te verkrijgen: Forbidden”. “Failed to get a list of apparatuses: Forbidden.” After this I typed the URI, the one thing I could do. Result:

“Failed to search for recommended driver: 'Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.”

None of tese possible causes is the case.

I got a list of printers and chose mine. The name of the printer is: “Manual URI”. I try to save the settings. this is forbidden. then I try to change the customize the standard settings. But I must save the former changes first. Only now a root password is requested, and the settings that were forbidden to be saved, can now be saved. In order to save a changed setting, one must first try “Apply”, but this is forbidden. Only after this I can choose “OK” and can enter my password. In the list of printers it still has the name of “Manual URI”.

I am not happy with this, so I remove the printer and try to install it with Brother’s installer: linux-brprinter-installer-2.2.3-1. I get a lot of errors, and some i686 files cannot be installed. I add the main i686 repository. Still a lot of remarks. The printer works at last.!!

I installed the “Cups-Printer”. I do not know what happened to it. It does not appear on my list of printers in systemsettings.

I tried to change “system preferences” in the printer section of systemsettings5, but I cannot doe this, the settings are grayed out; I am not authorized to do this and cannot get it by becoming root.

I am not now asking for help, just telling you how difficult this part of OMa is. Perhaps an option to open this section as root is a solution.

Greetings

Erik

I am sorry you continue to have such difficulty with OpenMandriva Lx. We do realize users trying to do things in OpenMandriva Lx the way they do things in some other distro can lead to frustration. OpenMandriva is unique, intentionally, and has no goal to be like any other Linux distro.

OpenMandriva is designed to be a Community distribution of Linux. OpenMandriva is a small group of all volunteer, part-time, and unpaid contributors. Things get done when someone in the OM Community volunteers and does it. When people are helping you they are donating their time, knowledge and skill to you. If you want something done join the Community and do something to make it happen.

IMO printer support in OMLx is not ideal.

We do have an OpenMandriv wiki. Typing printer in the search window leads to this.

There is also a Forum Resources section. The Forum Resources contains an article How to configure printer in OMLx.

I do not know if either of these would have helped in your situation.

These problems existed when OMLx 4.3 was first released but were fixed within days. @TPG fixed these issues in the package print-manager-21.12.2-2 . Assuming you are in Rock/OMLx 4.3:

User Note: Recommended Rock software upgrade procedure:

$ sudo dnf clean all ; sudo dnf up

User Note: Recommended Rolling software upgrade procedure:

$ sudo dnf clean all ; sudo dnf dsync

User Info: dnf up=dnf upgrade
dnf dsync=dnf distro-sync

User-Info: In the hope it may help other users I show what works for me.

I have an HP printer so according to those configuration guides I needed to install task-printing-hp.

cat /etc/release shows what OMLx release I am using. Then the software update command I use shows what repositories I have enabled and that system is in fact up to date.

rpm -qa | grep task-printing shows that I do have task-printing-hp and the other task-printing packages needed for printing and scanning.

rpm -qa | grep print-manager shows the correct version of print-manager for all of this to work.

These screen-shots just show that I can add my HP printer with SystemSettings and there are no error messages.

Then I finished the configuration and printed a test page from SystemSettings.

1 Like

Dear Ben,

you say:

I am sorry you continue to have such difficulty with OpenMandriva Lx. We do realize users trying to do things in OpenMandriva Lx the way they do things in some other distro can lead to frustration. OpenMandriva is unique, intentionally, and has no goal to be like any other Linux distro.

You are quite right. Thinking over all this i have come to the conclusion that at least part of my problems resides between my chair and the keyboard. :disappointed:

I am also hoping however that my experiences may be useful for making OMa fool proof. I do not mind being the fool for this.

I have two printers, both Brother printers. Usually I install them by running the most recent installation script from the brother website. No problem at all. But this time, going through all system settings, I tried to install the printers from there. I am happy to read that the printer problem is not all my fault. :relieved:

I shall follow your advice and use the commands you mention to go over to the rolling upgrade system.

Thank you very much for listening to me and your advice.

Greetings

Erik

2 Likes

Dear Ben,

with the newer printmanager print-manager-21.12.2-2 the installation of the my printers succeeded without a hitsch!!

thank you very much.

Erik