PIA (Private Internet Access) VPN

Tags: #<Tag:0x00007fc0c55ddfd0>

Hello,

• _OpenMandriva Lx version:_4.0

• Desktop environment (KDE, LXQT…): KDE

• _Description of the issue (screenshots if relevant):_I use PIA VPN and can get it to work with most Linux distros but can only get it to work with Lx4.0 by manually starting it from terminal. There are several PIA scripts that run and install fine for Fedora, Rosa, Unity, Mageia, etc. but they don’t seem to work for Lx4. The one that comes the closest complains about libXScrnSaver not being installed. I’ve downloaded several different versions and tried installing them but get the message that they conflict with an already installed version (??). Does anyone use PIA and know how to get it working complete with it’s icon on taskbar? TIA

• _Relevant informations (hardware involved, software version, logs or output…):_Doesn’t seem to be a hardware issue as other Linux distros on my pc work fine.

Works for me :smiling_imp:

So for clarity, you’re talking about this program? https://pol.privateinternetaccess.com/installer/x/download_installer_linux

If yes. I just downloaded it on OpenMadnriva Cooker and installed it from the .run installer and in fact, the application does not start from a shortcut in the menu.

To run it need root privileges…

So open terminal (konsole, xterm etc) and go to dir /opt/piavpn/bin/ and launch gui client. You can run it via this command:
sudo /opt/piavpn/bin/pia-client

How the app works? I do not know. I have not tested it more because it requires a paid license (and I do not intend to buy) but should work fine.
Proof: Imgur: The magic of the Internet

Yes, that is the program and running sudo /opt/piavpn/bin/pia-client launches the interface and displays the icon on the taskbar. However, after putting in my credentials and telling it to connect it tries continually to connect but eventually displays the message “Can’t reach the VPN server. Check your connection.” I thought it might be the firewall preventing connection but disabling the firewall didn’t help. I have to wonder if it is still a permission thing or is it a NetworkManager issue (?). I might add that I really appreciate your help as I’m sure that you are a very busy guy.

Look at konsole output. There may be something useful there. You can paste the log here.

[ben@ben-openmandriva-pc ~]$ sudo /opt/piavpn/bin/pia-client
[+0.000][default][linux_env.cpp:21][info] XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP= “”
[+0.001][default][linux_env.cpp:69][info] Detected desktop “Unknown” and RTL: false
[+0.006][default][warning] QStandardPaths: XDG_RUNTIME_DIR not set, defaulting to ‘/tmp/runtime-root’
[+0.030][default][warning] QStandardPaths: XDG_RUNTIME_DIR not set, defaulting to ‘/tmp/runtime-root’
[+0.030][default][builtin/util.cpp:186][info] Initializing crash handler
[+0.030][logger][builtin/logging.cpp:198][info] Initializing LoggerPrivate
[+0.031][logger][builtin/logging.cpp:224][info] Loaded debug.txt with filter rules: (".debug=true", "qt.debug=false", “latency.=false", "qt.scenegraph.general=true”)
[+0.031][logger][builtin/logging.cpp:311][info] Starting log session (v1.2.1+02688)
[+0.031][default][/home/gitlab-runner/builds/a11b3522/0/research/pia_desktop/common/src/appsingleton.cpp:93][debug] Checking for another instance
[+0.031][default][/home/gitlab-runner/builds/a11b3522/0/research/pia_desktop/common/src/appsingleton.cpp:96][warning] Create failed with “QSharedMemory::create: already exists”
[+0.031][default][/home/gitlab-runner/builds/a11b3522/0/research/pia_desktop/common/src/appsingleton.cpp:117][debug] Value of shared memory data is 3532
[+0.055][default][/home/gitlab-runner/builds/a11b3522/0/research/pia_desktop/common/src/appsingleton.cpp:70][debug] ps -p returns “pia-client”
[+0.055][default][main.cpp:169][warning] Exiting because another instance appears to be running
[+0.055][default][unixsignalhandler.cpp:60][debug] Sending signal SIGUSR1 to 3532
[ben@ben-openmandriva-pc ~]$

The above is console output and I think it is normal as it starts the PIA interface successfully and returns to prompt.
When “connect” is clicked on the interface no console output is generated since the program has been started successfully and is running.
I need to find PIA’s debug file and see what’s in it…I think. I’ll post it once I find it.