OpenVPN on linux (OMLx 4/Cooker)

Hello,

• OpenMandriva Lx 4.x, ubuntu 19.04
  • KDE):

I have isssue with VPN and linux i use Asus ac66\ac88u but i did not get config to works on openmandriva or ubuntu\linux did not know why?
Did someone have expenrence how to set up? Because when i try to get ```
sudo openvpn --config /path/to/config.ovpn --auth-retry interact

i get "`Options error: In [CMD-LINE]:1: Error opening configuration file: /path/to/config.ovpn
Use --help for more information.`

Hello,
try this.
cd /path/to
sudo openvpn config.ovpn

I use it this way with any problem.

1 Like

I get cd /path/to folder did not exist.
and Options error: In [CMD-LINE]:1: Error opening configuration file: config.ovpn
I have installed: openvpn (2.4.6) its that to old? did i need 2.4.7?

/path/to must be replace by the real path of the openvpn file, that is where it is put.

So no other setup its needed? Did i need to set up firewall or DNS or something? Because i did not think it will works. Or it must be issue with it? So you did not have more information how its works? or should it works if it works on windows 10?

I get:

Options error: --ca fails with 'C:\Program Files\OpenVPN\config\ca.crt': No such file or directory (errno=2)
Options error: --cert fails with 'C:\Program Files\OpenVPN\config\client.crt': No such file or directory (errno=2)
Tue May  7 23:24:07 2019 WARNING: cannot stat file 'C:\Program Files\OpenVPN\config\client.key': No such file or directory (errno=2)
Options error: --key fails with 'C:\Program Files\OpenVPN\config\client.key': No such file or directory (errno=2)
Tue May  7 23:24:07 2019 WARNING: cannot stat file 'C:\Program Files\OpenVPN\config\ta.key': No such file or directory (errno=2)
Options error: --tls-auth fails with 'C:\Program Files\OpenVPN\config\ta.key': No such file or directory (errno=2)
Options error: Please correct these errors.
Use --help for more information.

Which VPN do you want to use?

I use my own VPN on my router, i did not have option to download configuration files for linux\mac or windows that netgear router have.

So i did not know if asus router is for windows only, or i must do other thing to get it to works?
Other pc get i ca\cert configuration failed. So its most be something to do with it? How to check configuration is ok?

If you have an RT-AC88U I have one and it certainly works with Linux even say so in ASUS docs. However I don’t have VPN setup and am no help with that. If I could help I would do so.

Edit: I think it would be unusual that an ASUS router wouldn’t work with Linux but I’m not positive of that. And they do usually indicate in docs whether they have Linux support.

I also have issue to set up VPN from VPN client software:
open VPN server with client
So have someone get this to works from PC to PC?

Because i think is very old way to do it. I guess router block connection or some firewall issue that is not give information about.

OK, this is literally all I know about this subject. Otherwise let’s hope @Mila or @jclvanier can help you.

Post-edit: Doh! And that is vnc not vpn so I have really proved I don’t know anything about this…

@lmh1, please one thing at a time!
What is the model of your router? If you don’t give such details, it’s almost impossible to help you.
Btw, a VPN doesn’t depend on the OS but on the protocol it uses. What depends on the OS is the client software. But if a VPN can be accessed with Windows, it can also be accessed with gnu/linux.

Asus ac88u and ac66u.
But can it be firewall issue or did i need fast IP?

I did not test this so much but:

openvpn --config /home/larsmartin/Skrivebord/clientac88u.ovpn --daemon
bash: openvpn: command not found...
Install package 'openvpn' to provide command 'openvpn'? [N/y] y
 * Waiting in queue... 
 * Loading list of packages.... 
 * Downloading details about the software repositories.... 
 * Loading list of packages.... 
 * Downloading details about the software repositories.... 
 * Loading list of packages.... Failed to install packages: openvpn-2.4.6-3.x86_64 is already installed

I need usermanual for it. I guess it some bugs but need confirm before i add bugs.

Your routers don’t support openvpn but vpn pptp.
According to the docs, see here and there (btw have you read them?), you have to set up the username and the pwd.
In the network applet (taskbar of your destop), all you have to do is create a new vpn pptp connection and activate it when your network is up.

On the firewall side, you may need to allow TCP port 1723.

Its support VPN
vpn asu router.

Ok, I’m starting to understand (and sorry I didn’t read your first post carefully enough).
What I understand is that your routers support:

• OpenVPN as clients for remote VPN servers
  • VPN PPTP as servers

In the first case, if you have an account in VPN server like Proton, Surfshark and many others, you can setup the router as a client. In this case, you don’t need to add anything to your computer.
The second case has been described in the preceding message.

its look almost the same, but other model.
Its look like firmware on the link is very old.
But its look like VPN files, did have link for windows to get files.
So i guess config files it not the same on linux\windows.

I got openVPN to works, use networks icon configure networks connection then + and select valid file.
So its works, i did have old\outdated files also.