Open rpmdrake, drakconf as user

HI

I need to open, rpmdrake, drakconf other superuser tools as my user, right now I just can open it with suing as root thru Terminal. Any way to do it on OMA?

Short answer is no. For good reason.

Why do you think you need to open either as user and not super user?

it was working with OMA 2014 and does work on a lot of distros today, off course you need to put root password but the idea of opening a konsole suing to configure a network interface is ridiculous.

Then I’m not understanding something. If I understand you are OK with entering a root password. So what isn’t working is opening drakconf and rpmdrake from Application list?

If so that could be a hostname change issue maybe.

The following information is meant for all users:

FWIW: Our developers keep saying in no uncertain terms that users should stop using drakxnet/Network Center (ergo drakconf) for Internet configuration and use NetworkManager. Unless you use Network Center to turn off NetworkManager that is what is going to control your internet config anyway. Another reason is that Network Center is old, deprecated, not maintained, and written in perl which none of our developers use. When OM Lx 4 is released it will be gone.

NetworkManager configuration can be accessed from the icon in the system tray or in SystemSettings>Network>Connections. All without opening a terminal or Konsole.

The recommended alternative to NetworkManager is to use terminal or Konsole and turn off NetworkManager and configure your internet from the command line.

FWIW2: I tell this because when users post about problems with Network Center that is first thing developers will tell them. YMMV.

FWIW3: To configure network from command line did not used to be all that difficult or time consuming. Admittedly to do it today myself I would have to relearn how to do so. But that is easy to do.

Edit: To configure NetworkManager from Command Line you use ‘nmcli’ one can Google for more details if interested. I use this to track some things with my wifi.

If this is a hostname issue there are new glibc/libc6 packages that might correct this. You update those and reboot system and see. And by all means let us know here.

So sorry for not making myself clear. When I want to install package I execute “rpmdrake” ( from Application list) then and prompt me for root password, but never authenticate even though the password is fine. It happens with drakconf and any drake command. To be able to run those commands I have to open a terminal, su and then run some “drake” command.
It is not that traumatic to do it, but it seems like a bit silly also so I decided to ask maybe it is an issue of aesthetic from OMA 3 or it might be fixed.

When I use LXQt the identity field is “unix-user:eromo” and cannot be changed. I guess it need to be user root.

Rpmdrake asks for a password but not the root one. Have you tried entering your user password in that field? This is what works on my machine.

No and they work the same way they always have. So it is something within you system perhaps the hostname issue.

The tip from clb is good to try. If you enter your user password and rpmdrake opens then there is a problem with your hostname.

Edit: You are using Lx 3?

It’s not supposed to work like that. rpmdrake should ask for you root password. Not sure of the details but this has something do with incorrect hostname setting bug that occurred some time past.

To find what your hostname simply open Konsole and type ‘hostname’ and copy and paste the ouput here. Like:

$ hostname
ben79-pc

$ hostname
gizmo

I did have to change the nsswitch.conf file to “hosts: dns files”, otherwise it would not resolve any hosts on the net.

And you shouldn’t have to do that. What I mean is that should have already been there. You are using Lx 3?
Edit: Currently that line should look like:

hosts: files dns myhostname nis wins mdns4_minimal

FWIW: The file nsswitch.conf is written by glibc, there is a new set of glibc/libc6 packages for Lx 3 introduced yesterday (in main-update repo) that should rewrite your nsswitch.conf to what are currently considered best values. These are the new packages:

$ rpm -qa | grep glibc
glibc-2.26-11-omv2015.0.x86_64
glibc-devel-2.26-11-omv2015.0.x86_64

For both of you to set hostname open Konsole and:

$ hostnamectl set-hostname yourhostname

Where yourhostname is whatever you choose to name your computer. It will ask for root passwd. Enter that and reboot.

I am using LX 3.

Here is whay the line looked like before I changed it.

hosts: files mymachines resolve [!UNAVAIL=return] dns myhostname nis wins mdns4_minimal

The glibc packages currently installed are:

rpm -qa | grep glibc
lib64glibc_lsb-2.4.7-15-omv2015.0.x86_64
glibc-2.26-10-omv2015.0.x86_64
glibc-devel-2.26-10-omv2015.0.x86_64

As for setting the host name, that gets done during the dhcp request. It is set to the correct name and resolves fine on the network.

Just did that latest updates and now things look like this.

hosts: files dns myhostname nis wins mdns4_minimal

rpm -qa | grep glibc
lib64glibc_lsb-2.4.7-15-omv2015.0.x86_64
glibc-2.26-11-omv2015.0.x86_64
glibc-devel-2.26-11-omv2015.0.x86_64

Still enter the user password in rpmdrake instead of the root one.

Compare the versions of your glibc packages to the ones I posted.

For the nsswitch.conf file this “resolve [!UNAVAIL=return]” should be removed. I think it will be anyway when you update your glibc. As far as I understand in OpenMandriva hostname is static and does not change. Doesn’t on my machines. However if things are working OK for you I wouldn’t worry about it.

For any and all users: If rpmdrake is using your user password instead of root password then something is incorrect. I can assure you that is not right and not intended behavior. On the other hand if everything is working for you I would not worry about it. Just consider this post informational.

I did not mean to imply that updating glibc would change that, it shouldn’t change that. That is a separate issue.

This was previously discussed by the way in this thread.

I was using plasma but I changed to LXQt, XFCE doesn’t even prompt for the password.

Maybe for XFCE you nedd to install gksu. LXQt should use pkexec instead.

I think this happens when the user is a sudouser.