Omv lx 4.0

I’d like to know if developers already have an estimate of when OMV LX 4.0 is going to be released …

Thanks

2 Likes

No. But they do want to get it done ASAP.

The following is my understanding and my opinion based on that understanding.

Currently they are working on mass rebuild of packages and it is unpredictable how long it may take. There likely will be thousands of broken packages and there may be more than one mass rebuild. This is all being done to make things more solid “under the hood” so to speak than Lx 3 is currently.

Thanks Ben.

1 Like

I’m not positive about how things will be handled with Lx 4 but normally when the foundation is in place and a Linux distro starts developing a new release one of the first steps is to make a Release Plan and/or a Roadmap. My guess is when we see something like that we’ll know approximately when Lx 4 will be released. So currently they are working on the foundation.

2 Likes

We are awaiting the release of OMV 4.

:+1:

I’d just like to see a pre-alpha tech preview ISO at this point but so far they can’t make one.

3 Likes

We are a lot closer Ben. I can build a working minimal iso’s now. With a bit of magic you could install a minimal and then pull in the rest. I’m up to my eyes in life stuff at the moment but as soon as I have some free time I’ll be back to building isos.

4 Likes

It would be great if we could have an how-to.

4 Likes

:+1:

Basically boot the iso in a VM with a virtual hard drive. Get fdisk and create an ext4 partition on the harddrive and format it. Mount the drive on /mnt Unsquash the squashfs on the iso with the drive as the target for the unsquashed filsystem. Bind mount /proc /sys /dev/ and /dev/pts on /mnt/proc /mnt/sys /mnt/dev and /mnt/dev/pts. Then chroot /mnt then run grub2-install --force /dev/sda (or whatever your disk is called. Finally run grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg.
Type exit to leave the chroot and reboot to the harddrive. If you are very luccky you’ll get a command prompt. I’ll leave you to figure out dnf suffice to say sudo dnf install --nogpgchek --allowerasing <package_name> should get you started.

Perhaps developers don’t understand that users don’t have a clue what to do with a minimal ISO? So do you just boot the minimal ISO and install a list of packages? How does the minimal ISO know where to install the packages? OMV goes through a lot of changes and updates basically everything so only a developer would know what currently needs to be installed. Or to say another way I am not confident that I would know or would figure this out correctly.

Or what files would need to be created like /etc/fstab for instance. How does the system know how to connect to the Internet? In the case of the Internet the instructions I have for doing this go back to Mandriva before NetworkManager so I don’t know exactly what to do now a days. And so on. (Well actually as I recall there isn’t that much more to this.)

So it would be wonderful if someone that knows what they are doing would write this down. Instead of someone like me trying to figuring it out and possibly getting some things wrong or leaving something out.

So yes I’m saying I think I could figure this out but I don’t for fear of leading other users astray.

If it is important to know what you know then I would say it is doubly important to know what you don’t know. And not following this rule in the past has gotten me in troublesome situations.

Post-edit: I think the instructions here under “By chroot (quick and safe)” are how you would do this but these instructions are from about 2009-2010 so I am concerned that some things may be different, maybe quite a bit different. But perhaps a developer could take this and update it. Sure would be appreciated. And if they’d give a rough idea of things that need doing immediately after installing that would add to the wonderfulness. The package list is surely out of date.

Guess I should have added:

for dummies

but I realize now that’s not stuff for dummies, like it looks like from Colin’s word “you could install a minimal and then pull in the rest:grin:

2 Likes

Just for what ever this is what we have in OpenMandriva wiki for Cooker. To me it is a little bizarre as it seems to give instructions for someone who has Cooker installed but does not really say how to install it. I’m pretty sure that right now changing repos from Lx 3 to Cooker would result in el-busto.

I used to install Cooker with the chroot method in Mandriva docs but as of about 2 or 2 and half years ago that became problematic and at the time when I asked for help on IRC I did not get any help so I gave up. So developers could have a few more people testing things on Cooker if they would react to this. Just a thought. I would think that would have an impact.

Is there a way to put the minimal Lx4.0 in a LXC container under an installed Lx3.0? :thinking:

Ben, most of what you have pointed to is OK with the caveat that dnf would replace urpmi and in consequence some of the options would change. What it does not show is the unsquash filessystem process which is just a different and more direct way of creating the chroot.
I have thought of another way to do it too you could use omdv-build-iso to create the chroot directly and for cooker this would probably be a better way in theory omdv-build-iso could almost do the whole thing for you since it’s doing all the basic steps but then putting the result on an iso instead of a hard drive partition. In fact the more I think about it to more attractive the proposition becomes. I’ll give some outline instructions for this when I have a little free time as this would probably be the best method I just need to test it.

In theory yes but remember in docker you would be running under the host kernel. If cooker relied on any features of it’s own kernel it’s possible though unlikely there would be issues.

@adelson.oliveira: here wrote that OpenMandriva Lx 4.0 will be released on October 1, 2018. But I discussed release date of OMA 4.0 with OpenMandriva developers on Facebook, one of OpenMandriva developer wrote to me it will be released on November or early.

1 Like

Would be nice if you could post link to conversation on Facebook, I’m not finding it? Interesting information in Wikipedia, I wonder who wrote it? Anyone know?

@ben79: It was wrote by unregistred user.

From Facebook messages: “Our 4.0 version probably will be released this year around november.”

1 Like