Old problem is back! bbswitch is broken!

And again, kernel 4.16.13 does not compile bbswitch and nvidia 390

dkms install -m bbswitch -v 0.8-6

and

dkms install -m nvidia-current -v 390.25-1

generate the following make.log’s:

bbswitchmakelog.txt (1,5 KB)
nvidiamakelog.txt (202,5 KB)

1 Like

There is this. So as has been said OM can’t always make nVidia packages exactly when a new kernel is released. I suspect in this case those packages are available by now and just haven’t been built by OM devs. So what to do?

As a practical matter OM users that wish to use nVidia software need to file a “Feature Request” bug report every time a new kernel is released without corresponding nVidia packages and select under “Importance” “trivial/enhancement”. And it would help if every nVidia user would make a short and polite post in that bug report requesting nVidia packages on a more timely basis.

If users don’t like how things are you need to talk directly to developers about this. Please do so politely and with respect for their time, these are busy folks who aren’t getting enough sleep. Where to do that is either @ #openmandriva or @ #openmandriva-cooker on Freenode IRC.
:monkey_face:

Aside: If you ever hear a developer making derogatory comments about nVidia just realize that most any Linux distro will have some devs that don’t like nVidia. That is not unusual. Heck the man that invented Linux does not like nVidia. Does not mean that folks with nVidia hardware shouldn’t receive proper support.
:monkey:

I’ve filed bug 2351. Just hope not have sound unpolite, didn’t mean that.

1 Like

Not at all. Seems matter of fact to me. Besides @adelson.oliveira you strike me as a naturally polite person.

And FWIW I was not aware of that bug till after my post above. No comment of mine was aimed at or intended towards any individual.

nvidia driver releases are designed to work up to a specific kernel version and often need to be patched to work with later kernel versions. Be aware that nVidia is closed source so these patches are mostly provided by nVidia or other kernel hackers. Whatever the source of the patches they are not usually available until after a new kernel is released. It is therefore inevitable that in some instances there will be a delay between the time when a new kernel is released by OpenMandriva and when a new nVidia driver package can be made available.”

The above is from here..

Link to @adelson.oliveira’s bug report “New kernel 4.16.13 does not compile for nvidia” here.

Tip for nVidia users: If you go here you can find the date of a kernel release. In the case of 4.16.13 it looks like May 30,2018. Then go to our non-free repos non-free-updates and possibly non-free-testing. There you can find the dates nvidia packages were added to repository. And from the dates of the OM nvidia packages (newest I see is from March 8, 2018) then there is no way they can work with a kernel-4.16.13 based on the information in the above post.

As a moderator I should mention the use of code with the </> icon when you make a post so that:

dkms install -m bbswitch -v 0.8-6

and

dkms install -m nvidia-current -v 390.25-1

could be:

# dkms install -m bbswitch -v 0.8-6

and

# dkms install -m nvidia-current -v 390.25-1

hope this is a helpful hint. And have no fear I make mistakes posting stuff from time to time myself. I guess that is the monkey part of being a Linux monkey.
:monkey:

2 Likes

Beta driver 396.18, should work fine even with 4.17. So I think sometimes it’s worth install drivers directly from geforce.com - if driver from distribution not working (of course, if you know what you are doing and how to install it)

1 Like

For what it may be worth. May I be so bold as to suggest that we identify the real problem.

What are OpenMandriva’s package rules? Specifically what are OpenMandriva’s packaging rules for out-of-tree kernel modules? Are packaging rules enforced?

Are there any rules for testing these? This one I think I can answer. There are “sort of, kind of” rules and procedures for testing packages. But they aren’t always followed. Also there aren’t enough people involved to test everything anyway.

Postedit: I created a new thread for this topic here dadgummit! :monkey:

It is expected that nvidia will work eventually with new kernels but what about bbswitch?

dkms-bbswitch has had its last update at git-Hub about 5 years ago!

Openmandriva’s bbswitch version is 0.8.6 but there is a 0.8.8 at mageia.

bbswitch allows for a nice simulation of optimus technology for hybrid graphics laptops in Linux. Don’t know of something better.

That’s a question for the BumbleBee project or it’s developers. OpenMandriva has nothing to do with that. They are just repackaging existing software in this case.

I do not know for sure, but I’m guessing that bbswitch could simply be rebuilt every new kernel release. At least that’s what Arch does https://git.archlinux.org/svntogit/community.git/log/trunk?h=packages/bbswitch

Well, this is not entirely true. Latest version of bbswitch is 0.8. In Mageia Cauldron - 0.8-7- it does not mean it is newer. This 8 mean 8 package release, not package version. Thats why both OpenMandriva and Mageia have the same version of bbswitch, just other release. So if bbswitch is in 0.8-6 and u rebuild it today it should be 0.8-7.

I remember doing this when I had nVidia hardware. It was not difficult just a few steps. But as I recall you have to do it every time there is a new kernel.

Two years old but should be similar today. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qd7MFeIwXo
Today installer should asks you to install 32-bit libraries, overwrite the xorg configuration, and override system libglvnd libraries with those provided by nvidia. Hmm installer should also blacklist nouveau driver from boot. Sometimes it will not do it on exotic linux systems, so you have to do it manually and that’s all.

This is the worst problem. Although from what I remember (few years ago) on Ubuntu usually with the new kernel release, NVIDIA drivers still worked. Sometimes not, then it is necessary to rebuild DKMS or simple re run of driver installation (or just reinstall kernels headers - but I’m not sure because it was quite a long time ago.)

Just another question on this. I would like to know if this is supposed to happen if nvidia 396.24 is properly installed:

# modprobe nvidia
modprobe: ERROR: could not find module by name='nvidia'
modprobe: ERROR: could not insert 'nvidia': Unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)

# insmod nvidia
insmod: ERROR: could not load module nvidia: No such file or directory

That’s a rather contradictory message. Can you check whether the module file is actuallly present in the kernels module directory. Perhaps the output of dmesg would be good too.

Yes, they are there:

$ ls /lib/modules/4.16.13-desktop-1omv/kernel/drivers/char/drm/
nvidia-current.ko nvidia-drm.ko nvidia-modeset.ko nvidia-uvm.ko

The output of dmesg does not mention nvidia modules. But notice that in this lap top the regular graphical module is the intel (hybrid lap top), the nvidia module is supposed to be loaded only on demand via bumblebee command optirun. Then, I don’t see why no mention of nvidia in dmesg would be a problem. With older kernel 4.15 a lsmod command like

$ lsmod| grep nvidia

would return nothing.

But when I launch optirun,

$ optirun glxspheres64
$ lsmod|grep nvidia
used to return the nvidia modules in use …

dmesg.txt (112,2 KB)

Also, the dmesg after I try to load nvidia with optirun command (which tries to load nvidia):

$ optirun glxspheres64
[41938.637223] [ERROR]Cannot access secondary GPU - error: Could not load GPU driver
[41938.637261] [ERROR]Aborting because fallback start is disabled.

dmesg-after-optirun.txt (114,1 KB)

Could this be the source of your problem? Looks to me that you hardware is not supported by the driver you have installed…

[qua jul 25 23:50:24 2018] NVRM: The NVIDIA GeForce GT 520M GPU installed in this system is
NVRM: supported through the NVIDIA 390.xx Legacy drivers. Please
NVRM: visit http://www.nvidia.com/object/unix.html for more
NVRM: information. The 396.24 NVIDIA driver will ignore
NVRM: this GPU. Continuing probe…
[qua jul 25 23:50:24 2018] NVRM: No NVIDIA graphics adapter found!