No SDDM = black screen

Yet another test
at black screen: Ctrl-Alt-Backspace
(try once, or quickly twice)

That worked too and got me to the login screen. Strange thing was that sddm-greeter was opened as a window even after I logged in but it didn’t matter.

How can I make startx /usr/bin/startkde execute at start up?

So, unless I’m wrong, these seem all the symptoms of the damn calamares bug which affected 3.01 release.

I had to deal a lot with it around the time of release, here is a discussion (sorry, in French but it should be easy to understand also with the help of numerous screenshots :grin: ) where you may find some tips or take inspiration from.

Is your userspace correctly set?

cd /home/your_home

ls

And also this.

1 Like

I followed your link and replaced live with my user name in /etc/sddm.conf and that helped. Thank you very much!

After the reinstallation I have another issue, although not related to the black screen so please tell me if I should open a separate thread. When I run urpmi --auto-update it tells me it has to remove three packages (aria2, glibc, wget) in order to update other packages which are the same packages in the same versions so it doesn’t make sense. Anyway when I confirm it deletes them and installs again. When I run urpmi --auto-update again, same thing happens so I’m stuck in a loop.

Happy to read it. You’re welcome :wink:

For more clarity, it was not our bug it was calamares bug.

Yes, please do. It’s good to keep the issues separated. 1 issue - 1 thread.
Thanks.

I installed kernel 4.10.12 again, booted and got the black screen. I was able to switch to a virtual console and run startx /usr/bin/startkde. This got me an X11 window with the following message: “Could not start D-Bus. Can you call qdbus?” I clicked Okay and was back to the virtual console.

OMG !
4.10.12 is not good for you… maybe… :interrobang:
Why not skiplist the kernel then?

BTW in /testing repo there is a 4.10.13.

Hi Jaro,
Don’t install Kernel-4.10 in any version. Something is broken and we need to find out what it is.
I have managed to get a kernel backtrace from my box which also fals with the 4.10 kernel so I might be able to glean something useful from that.
To prevent it installing but to allow to update from the testing repos add the rpm name to /etc/urpmi/skip.list. Alternatively you could remove it’s entry from /etc/grub2/grub.cfg
Colin

The easiest way to not have kernel updates to 4.10.xx is simply to remove (till issue resolved) the ‘kernel-release-desktop-latest’ package. If you’re also using ‘kernel-release-desktop-devel’ then also remove ‘kernel-release-desktop-devel-latest’. Kernel packages (by themselves) don’t automatically update, that’s why we have the ‘latest’ packages.

FWIW: Unlike a lot of Linux distros OpenMandriva kernel updates do not automatically remove old kernel versions. This is up to user. I typically try to keep the 3 most recent only.

1 Like

Hi Jaro,
I have tested the 4.11 kernel from the cooker repo and that works on my nVidia box I would be grateful if you could test it on your Radeon setup. If you go here:-
http://abf-downloads.openmandriva.org/cooker/repository/x86_64/main/release/kernel-release-desktop-4.11.0-2omv-1-1-omv3001.x86_64.rpm

and here:-

http://abf-downloads.openmandriva.org/cooker/repository/x86_64/main/release/kernel-release-desktop-devel-4.11.0-2omv-1-1-omv3001.x86_64.rpm

You will get the cooker rpms. If these work for you I would be grateful if you could also test the new mesa which is here:-

http://abf-downloads.openmandriva.org/cooker/repository/x86_64/main/release/mesa-17.1.0-0.rc3.1-omv3001.x86_64.rpm

If all is well then these packages will be included in the 3.02 release.
Colin

It would be good that if anyone else who has the time could also test the packages linked above.
Reports to this thread will be fine.
Colin

Might be worth checking if Mesa is installed on system in the first place. On mine it isn’t. I’ve been wondering about this for a while listening to people talking about mesa as if it’s a default package when it doesn’t seem to be installed by default. At least not here.

One problem with kernel 4.11.0 is building VirtualBox and perhaps other kernel modules:

Kernel preparation unnecessary for this kernel.  Skipping...

Building module:
make -C /lib/modules/4.11.0-desktop-2omv/build M=/var/lib/dkms/virtualbox/5.1.22-1/build clean
make: Entering directory '/usr/src/linux-4.11.0-desktop-2omv'
make: Leaving directory '/usr/src/linux-4.11.0-desktop-2omv'

{ ./vboxbuild /lib/modules/4.11.0-desktop-2omv/build -j8; } >> /var/lib/dkms/virtualbox/5.1.22-1/build/make.log 2>&1
(bad exit status: 2)
Error! Bad return status for module build on kernel: 4.11.0-desktop-2omv (x86_64)
Consult /var/lib/dkms/virtualbox/5.1.22-1/build/make.log for more information.
You should restart your computer for kernel-release-desktop-4.11.0-2omv

Just to be sure, do you have its own kernel-devel?

$ rpm -qa | grep 4.11.0-2omv                                                                                                     
kernel-release-desktop-devel-4.11.0-2omv-1-1-omv3001.x86_64
kernel-release-desktop-4.11.0-2omv-1-1-omv3001.x86_64

Don’t know but it may be simply that the kernel version isn’t written for Lx 3 and maybe there are some incorrect paths?

How can I reproduce the building log?

Btw 4.11.0-2 is no more available. New is 4.11.0-3

Test in virtualbox machine ISO 993 updated yesterday.

My procedure:

• download 2 rpm files

• install kernel

• reboot (with new kernel)

• install kernel-devel

• reboot
    Virtualbox guest additions currently working. What’s next?

# urpmi --test kernel-release-desktop-4.11.0-3omv-1-1-omv3001.x86_64.rpm

installing kernel-release-desktop-4.11.0-3omv-1-1-omv3001.x86_64.rpm
Preparing...                     ###########################################################################
Installation is possible

# urpmi kernel-release-desktop-4.11.0-3omv-1-1-omv3001.x86_64.rpm

installing kernel-release-desktop-4.11.0-3omv-1-1-omv3001.x86_64.rpm
Preparing...                     ###########################################################################
      1/1: kernel-release-desktop-4.11.0-3omv
                                 ###########################################################################
dracut: dracut module 'ifcfg' depends on 'network', which can't be installed
dracut: dracut module 'cifs' depends on 'network', which can't be installed
dracut: dracut module 'nfs' depends on 'network', which can't be installed
Generating grub configuration file ...
Found theme: /boot/grub2/themes/OpenMandriva/theme.txt
Found background: /boot/grub2/themes/OpenMandriva/terminal_background.png
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-4.11.0-desktop-3omv
Found initrd image: /boot/ed2d8864ca8d4e05998685286b87c0ca/4.11.0-desktop-3omv/initrd
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-4.10.13-desktop-1omv
Found initrd image: /boot/initrd-4.10.13-desktop-1omv.img
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-4.10.12-desktop-1omv
Found initrd image: /boot/ed2d8864ca8d4e05998685286b87c0ca/4.10.12-desktop-1omv/initrd
Found memtest image: /boot/elf-memtest86+
done
You should restart your computer for kernel-release-desktop-4.11.0-3omv
# urpmi --test kernel-release-desktop-devel-4.11.0-3omv-1-1-omv3001.x86_64.rpm

installing kernel-release-desktop-devel-4.11.0-3omv-1-1-omv3001.x86_64.rpm
Installation is possible

# urpmi kernel-release-desktop-devel-4.11.0-3omv-1-1-omv3001.x86_64.rpm

installing kernel-release-desktop-devel-4.11.0-3omv-1-1-omv3001.x86_64.rpm
      1/1: kernel-release-desktop-devel-4.11.0-3omv
                                 ###########################################################################
$ uname -r
4.11.0-desktop-3omv
  • $ rpm -qa|grep kernel|grep 4.11.0
    kernel-release-desktop-4.11.0-3omv-1-1-omv3001.x86_64
    kernel-release-desktop-devel-4.11.0-3omv-1-1-omv3001.x86_64