Kio-mtp not working

I did this from the terminal to get past the firewalld

sudo firewall-cmd --zone=public --permanent --add-port=1714-1764/tcp

sudo firewall-cmd --zone=public --permanent --add-port=1714-1764/udp

sudo systemctl restart firewalld.service

kde connects works fine when I transfer files from my phone to my desk top , but I can’t transfer files from my
desktop to my phone unless I use a usb cable , when I do that the phone becomes another storage device
and gets mounted on the root file system of my desktop.
all in all I’m still happy to use the remote mouse and media control . The find your phone ping is cool too.

got it to work …I realized that if I wanted to transfer files from my desktop to my phone I had to use the file they share to do that …their " I/O area " which was my download file on my desk top I also did what you recommended here https://forum3.openmandriva.org/t/kio-mtp-not-working/1680/18?u=jimmyc
I think both using the command line from a terminal or the control center will work .

for reference on mtp proto and ptp protocol I read this…

I did not followed you yet. I was about to confirm that I cannot send files from desktop to cell phone when I read you managed to do this! So please,

• I can use dolphin using KDE-connect to write a file on cellphone area, it seems to be there but the cell phone seems not to know this, I simply cannot see the file on the cell phone although it is shown at dolphin to be there;

• Did you managed to work with MTP in OMV LX 3.03? Or you sent files via PTP?

Thanks for the information.

I’ve found this

android - How to send a file from my computer to my phone using KDE Connect? - Ask Ubuntu

where it is said that the phone has to be restarted to have access to files copied from computer.

Did not tried it yet, but it makes sense if one thinks the file is written in the cell phone but inodes, etc, are not changed until the android is rebooted.

when I transfer photos from my desktop to my phone , the photos load into my picture gallery on the phone.
if I send a text file or pdf file from my desktop to my phone I can view them with a file manager called
Polaris viewer on my phone. no restart necessary on my phone everything works as soon as I pair them
together. For any transfer to occur between the two ( phone , Desktop ) it has to be done from the download
folder in your home directory , at least that was the folder I set when initiating KDE connect for the first time.
I just sent a text file to my phone and it works fine , I also sent a wall paper to my phone and it shows up in
the picture gallery .when I want to send a file to my phone whether it is text or photo I put the file in the download folder then change directory to the download folder and right click the file , when the dialog box appears
it will ask me " send to ( your phone ID ) via KDE connect " I click that option and the transfer occurs.
this is the only way it works with my set up …I still can’t mount the phone from the side panel listing
of devices thought and have it’s file system show up on dolphin…to do that I have to connect the two
using a usb cable, then I can view the phone’s file sytem using dolphin.

Perfect! It works as you said. Thanks for the information.

You’re welcome and thanks to you as well ,
just by talking with you about KDE connect I was able to get it to work for me …
have a good one :grin:

Ben79,

About the bug on kio-mtp, I wonder if it happens not to have a network available. How would one manage to access the cell phone? PTP could be used for the camera stuff, nothing else. Does KDE-connect work with usb cable?

Don’t know don’t use either. kio-mtp is no longer maintained and probably should be removed from repositories. @TPG says to don’t install or use kio-mtp.

KDE Connect is something for other folks to figure out.

Yes it does , I’m using KDE connect with a usb cable connected to my phone and desktop at this moment , I can drag and drop files into my phones download folder using a split screen in dolphin

It seems here that without a network connection the usb cable connection is useless. I cannot use KDE-connect without pairing devices which requires a wi-fi connection, right?
If yes, am I right to say that MTP protocol is still needed for those who travel to remote places?

If you are trying to access your phone’s file system to browse it , you do not need KDE connect to do so ,
you should be able to connect your phone to your laptop or desktop using a usb cable , the cable has to fit
your phone perfectly or you will wind up just charging your battery. I am assuming that you are using an
Android phone if so , the phone will open a dialog asking you if you want to go into mass storage mode
if you answer yes , then you can access your phone’s file system with Dolphin .

correct KDE connect use’s wi fi .
as for remote traval , once you are out wi fi range kde connect no longer fuctions with the device your are paired with. I use kde connect to change songs on my desktop pc while I’m on my treadmill so the remote
function is what I use it the most for . I have not tried playing media files on my pc to my phone via KDE
connect …If it can do that ,it would be super cool …that would save a lot of space on my phone .

Yes, sort of, the phone asks me to choose between a MTP and a PTP protocol to use. The former no longer works but it was the one to use to have full access to cell phone’s directories as with KDE-connect, the latter still works but provide access only to camera files.

So I guess one still may need MTP protocol in remote areas. I think the bug 2308 should be reopen.

Does your remote function work , can you move the mouse by touching your phone screen ?
can you control the media functions like " pause , play or fast forward when you are playing an mp3 file
with a media player like VLC for example ?

Didn’t try! Interesting functions, I will try and answer. BTW you mean with KDE-connect only or this is supposed to work with KDE-connect + usb cable? And, anyway, what can be done without a network wi-fi?

Yes with KDE connect only using wi fi .

nothing …kde connect is suppose to work with wi fi .
the two paired device’s ie…phone and laptop , are suppose to be connected to the same wi fi access point
if you do not have wi fi the only way to connect the two devices is to use a usb cable
you don’t need kde connect to do that if you just want to browse the phone directories .

For me KDE connect is a fun tool to use as a remote control for playing music from my desk top while I do things else where around my house , I have a guitar amp hooked up to my earphone jack on my desktop , so when I play music …I like to crank it up !!!

Nice!

My last question is,

Can you access your cell phone via MTP protocol (you select it in your cell phone)? If so, I guess your installation of OMV LX is different from mine where support for MTP is down.

Thank you again.

my phone does not ask which protocol I want to use , media transfer such as mp3
using MTP protocol happens automatically via the file’s extension , PTP protocol is used automatically with photos . If you have a SD memory card in your phone PTP protocol will try to look there first instead of the phones built in internal storage, maybe thats why its asking what protocol you want to use.
it wants to know if you want to transfer pictures or media such as movies or music.
I’m using OMV lx 3.0 . I prefer it over 3.03 . 3.0.3 does not see the other operating systems I have on my pc
I have a tri boot pc , each system has it’s own drive ,( two HD’s and a thumb flash drive.)

I guess MTP stopped working after LX 3.0. This explains why you can browse your cell phone area with a usb cable, I guess.