Install Nvidia driver

Hello,

• OpenMandriva Lx version:

• Desktop environment (KDE, LXQT…):
    Plasma

• Description of the issue (screenshots if relevant):
    I have a used machine just given to me. I have OM 4.1 installed. The 31" monitor is letterboxed, I figure it needs a video driver. I found the proper Nvidia driver and downloaded it, then went looking for how to install it. I found a few topics in this forum, none of which made sense or even had posts in agreement with each other.

So how do I install this driver?

• Relevant informations (hardware involved, software version, logs or output…):
    HP Z400, quad-core Xeon, Nvidia graphics.
1 Like

If you have the RPM file, then try in terminal sudo dnf install <name_of_rpm_file>, have found dnfdragora GUI throws some error message, but CMDline dnf does not…
Happy trails.

1 Like

what gpu? I need to know model because omv provide two version of drivers.

1 Like

FX 1800

1 Like

For supporting your GPUs, the driver is version 340.108 is requires. We don’t support this series anymore, the last one supported is 4X or 390.

In this case, you need to install manuall drivers from nvidia.com

1 Like

Packages with nvidia-settings available here.

The nvidia-settings utility may be necessary to use nvidia driver with TV as monitor. Also may be necessary for dual monitor set-ups.

[zaivala@zaivala-hpz400workstation ~]$ sudo dnf install nvidia-settings
Last metadata expiration check: 0:46:36 ago on Wed 07 Oct 2020 10:01:42 AM EDT.
No match for argument: nvidia-settings
Error: Unable to find a match: nvidia-settings
[zaivala@zaivala-hpz400workstation ~]$

That does not work nvidia-settings is a part of the nvidia-390 and nvidia-440 packages as described here.

I solved the problem. I got a Radeon video card for the workstation. That’s not the same thing as a software solution but it will do.