How to upgrade Rock/OMLx 4.3 to ROME/Rolling

2022-05-10T22:00:00Z

The different versions of OMLx are explained further here.

Rolling is not yet “officially” announced. But it has been in use for well over a year and has proven to be as stable as Rock according to users and contributors. There is a goal to announce Rolling soon. Given all contributors are unpaid, part-time, volunteers sometimes our best intentions are delayed due to work, family, health, and other life considerations.

Most in the OM contributor group believe most users will prefer Rolling due to software packages being kept more up to date.

This “How to” is based on a very basic, default installation of Rock. Rock and OMLx 4.3 are the same thing right now. Also it is based on using only main repository and no extra or third party repos. It is recommended to disable any extra or third party repos for this procedure and re-enable them after you are done.

Important Note: Do not mix repos from different versions (update channels) of OMLx. Either use Rock or use Rolling. Do not mix them. You will have problems if you mix repositories.

Users that have done a lot of customizing to their system and/or who have installed a lot of additional software may encounter issues not uncovered by this type of test. Frankly there is no way to anticipate all scenarios of what a user might do.

Knowledge level required: Linux user comfortable with using terminal and basic Linux/Unix commands. You don’t need to be a system administrator or developer to do this.

How I did this test:

1. Install the Rock x86_64 ISO (#598) in VirtualBox. A command to verify what version of OMLx is installed is cat /etc/release. So we start with this:

$ cat /etc/release
    OpenMandriva Lx release 4.3 (Dysprosium) Official for x86_64

To check what repositories are enabled we use dnf repolist. Right now we should have:

$ dnf repolist 
     repo id                                                                                         repo name 
     rock-updates-x86_64                                                                             OpenMandriva Rock - x86_64 -              Updates
     rock-x86_64                                                                                     OpenMandriva Rock - x86_64`

2. Then I open Konsole and upgrade system with:

$ sudo dnf clean all ; sudo dnf up

3. There was a new kernel installed so I reboot for the new kernel.

4. Open Software Repository Selector aka: om-repo-picker and select to change Update channel from Rock to Rolling.

That pops a window that tells user:

Screenshot_20220510_120255

1. Instead of dnf --refresh distro-sync I prefer users to use dnf clean all ; dnf distro-sync. distro-sync can be abbreviated as dsync. This is more important on systems that have been in use for a while. --refesh option forces dnf to update repos to latest metadata. dnf clean all does that and removes any old .rpm files from cache. This can be important on older systems.

Now dnf repolist should show:

$ dnf repolist
     repo id                                                                                           repo name
     rolling-x86_64                                                                                    OpenMandriva Rolling - x86_64

Notice that no third party or additional repos are enabled at present. I recommend to disable them for this procedure and re-enable them after.

2. Now for the actual procedure:

$ sudo dnf clean all ; sudo dnf dsync

3. Reboot into your new Rolling system with a new kernel-release-desktop-5.17.1-2. Now cat /etc/release should show:

$ cat /etc/release                    
    OpenMandriva Lx release 4.50 (Rome) Rolling for x86_64
  1. Recommended method to update Rolling systems is to open Konsole(terminal) and:

$ sudo dnf clean all ; sudo dnf dsync

2. Now your job as a happy user is to enjoy your new Rolling system. We do our best to keep Rolling as stable as Rock. Over time there are considerably more software upgrades in Rolling. The way OM devs manage things results in periods of time with relatively few or no software upgrades. Then there are times when OM devs copy what is in Cooker repos to Rolling resulting in a large amount of software upgrades at once. We do try to inform users when this happens in this forum and in OpenMandriva News. This copying of Cooker to Rolling is very carefully done.

Note: As of today 2022-05-10 that is all. This results in 430+ packages installed or re-installed. Most are re-installs.

1 Like

This is the artwork you should see in your new Rolling system:

I like the Rolling artwork best of all.

1 Like