How to upgrade from Rock/Lx 4.1 to Rolling/Lx 4.2 Alpha

Tags: #<Tag:0x00007fddf5195598> #<Tag:0x00007fddf5195408> #<Tag:0x00007fddf51952f0> #<Tag:0x00007fddf51951b0> #<Tag:0x00007fddf5194f58>

Post-edit: The purpose of this thread is to provide an example of how to transition an existing Rock/Lx 4.1 system to Rolling (currently Lx 4.2 Alpha). If your main goal is simply to have a Rolling/Lx 4.2 Alpha system you can just install from Rolling/Lx 4.2 Alpha ISO’s at SourceForge.

At present the following “Worked For Me” but is a “Work In Progress” (WIP) until I hear from users that meet with success following this “How To”. Please post your experience and any question in Support forum. This should work on both hardware and VirtualBox systems.

• OpenMandriva Lx version:

Rock/Lx 4.1

• Desktop environment (KDE, LXQT…):

ALL

• Description of the issue (screenshots if relevant):

How to transition from Rock/Lx 4.1 to Rolling/Lx 4.2 Alpha

• Relevant information (hardware involved, software version, logs or output…):

Transition from Rock to Rolling is not as straight forward as some of us thought. But it is also not very difficult.

Currently if a user did this they would be at the equivalent of OM Lx 4.2 Alpha. Very soon Rolling will be upgraded to OM Lx 4.2 Beta.

So I will describe exactly how I did this. First I installed the latest Rock Lx 4.1 x86_64 ISO from SourceForge in VirtualBox. Then I set the mirror to http://abf-downloads.openmandriva.org/ like this:

$ sudo om-mirror-selector.sh -m

Obviously you select 1 and hit Enter. Then I update my system and reboot. I update always in terminal (Konsole). For Rock/Lx 4.1 you can use sudo dnf clean all ; sudo dnf upgrade. Once you have a Rolling system you will want to use sudo dnf clean all ; sudo dnf --allowerasing distro-sync. This will be explained later in this post.

Then you can use ‘Software Repository Selector’ to enable Rolling main/release repository.

Now we are ready to begin the upgrade with this command:

$ sudo dnf clean all ; sudo dnf --allowerasing distro-sync

In my test case there were 1993 packages to download and 3600+ transactions done by dnf. Towards the end of the dnf distro-sync process there will be series of scripts that run that will, in each instance, offer the user a choice between a new file or .rpmnew and an existing file or .rpm. Since you already have an established system with users, groups, passwords, mirror, and repositories set then you want to keep all the existing or .rpm files. In every instance the default is to keep the original file so just hit Enter for each one. Then before you reboot there are 4 more commands you will want to run:

$ sudo rpm --rebuilddb -vvv

$ sudo dnf autoremove

$ sudo dnf install plasma-workspace-x11

$ sudo dnf reinstall distro-release-theme

Now you are ready to reboot to your new Rolling/Lx 4.2 system.

Explanation:

$ sudo rpm --rebuilddb -vvv — will rebuild rpm database and get rid of an error message that is telling you that you have changed the database to sqlite from berkley database. (The error message itself can safely be ignored.)

$ sudo dnf autoremove — will remove about 117 (in my test) redundant packages left over from Lx 4.1 repositories that could cause confusion to your system.

$ sudo dnf install plasma-workspace-x11 — this is necessary because of what may be considered a bug. For Lx 4.2 developers split the packages for plasma-workspace-wayland and plasma-workspace-x11. For some reason dnf installs plasma-workspace-wayland only. Users are welcome to try both. Some users may find that Plasma Wayland may have glitches or may not work well with their hardware. Where you can choose these is in the lower left corner of the sddm login screen.

If you use Auto Login there is a setting in SystemSettings to select either Plasma Wayland or Plasma (x11).

$ sudo dnf reinstall distro-release-theme — this is to reinstall correctly the files needed for the beautiful OpenMandriva grub2 menu theme. Otherwise user will see an ugly black/white grub2 menu.

Users with additional repositories enabled should be able to figure out what to do. If not then ask in Support forum.

Users with 3rd party software I have no idea what may happen. If 3rd party software presents any problem then there should be a separate thread created for each instance in Support forum. But do be aware that by upgrading from Rock/Lx 4.1 to Rolling/Lx 4.2 Alpha you now have an entirely new system tool-chain.

Seriously important: Remember to keep any Rolling or Cooker system up to date you want to use this command in terminal always:

$ sudo dnf clean all ; sudo dnf --allowerasing distro-sync

Using a GUI like Discover or dnfdragora to update Rolling or Cooker systems will almost certainly result in problems. They do not use the desired sudo dnf --allowerasing distro-sync command. This matters, sometimes it matters a lot, so do this.

Explanation: You really only need to run $ sudo dnf clean all once a day. You can then run sudo dnf --allowerasing distro-sync or other dnf commands alone for the rest of that day.

This is all easier to do than it was to write this for sure. Probably easier to do than to read this “How To”. :grinning:

And now we can all test OM Lx 4.2 Alpha/Beta happily ever after. :rofl:

Edited 2020-11-13: To add the fix for beautiful OpenMandriva grub2 menu: $ sudo dnf reinstall distro-release-theme

1 Like

This screen shot shows an error you will see that you can safely ignore.

The following are screen shots showing the scripts that run at the end of the “dnf --allowerasing distro-sync” process.

Again if you already have an existing system set up you want to keep the existing file in each instance.

1 Like

If anyone finds any mistakes or correction needed please let us know by reporting in Support forum. I will test this at least one more time when I get some time.

Please open a new topic in Support category for comments or request for any further help.

1 Like