How to get cinnamon desktop?

Yep, this Adwaita error is recurring from time to time in console.

Well, I am very curious so installed MATE just for fun :smile:

Not that bad :wink:

1 Like

Well, old GNOME2 fashion style.

How are Y’all getting past this:

Installation failed:
        file /usr/bin/wnck-urgency-monitor from install of libwnck3-3.14.0-1.x86_64 conflicts with file from package libwnck-2.31.0-12.x86_64
        file /usr/bin/wnckprop from install of libwnck3-3.14.0-1.x86_64 conflicts with file from package libwnck-2.31.0-12.x86_64

? :disappointed:

Edit: I --allow-force it. Hope I don’t regret.

I missed something. How are Y’all launching Mate desktop? I’m using from failsafe terminal ‘mate-session’.

Edit: And Cinnamon. I’m seem not hitting on all cylinders with either one somehow… :confounded:
For Cinnamon I’m using in failsafe terminal ‘cinnamon --replace &’.

I didn’t get your error.

$ rpm -qa|grep libwnck3
libwnck3-3.14.0-1-omv2015.0.x86_64

With @mandian’s suggestion here.
This time worked. Replace lxqt/cinnamon with mate.

Hmmm… I make in ‘/usr/share/xsessions’ the file ‘cinnamon.desktop’ and put in this:

[Desktop Entry]
Type=Application
Exec=cinnamon
TryExec=cinnamon-session
Name=Cinnamon Desktop
Comment=Lightweight GTK Desktop

Exec= could also be ‘cinnamon2d’ don’t know yet which is correct or better or if they are same.
And Lo and Behold Cinnamon opens from sddm menu like any other desktop.
Don’t know what to think of it yet but it seems working. I’m posting this while in Cinnamon.

2 Likes

For better or whatever I created another post for Mate Desktop as Y’all can see.

1 Like

Cinnamon Desktop. As you can see I’m not smart enough to give my Cinnamon Desktop a background… :disappointed:

Seems working here too now.
I wonder if the reason could be some packages installed while installing mate? :thinking: :interrobang:

Neither do I
I mean the tool is there, but doesn’t work :unamused:

It works here too, but I can’t logout.

I tried this one which is similar to Fedora ones:

[Desktop Entry]
Type=Application
Exec=cinnamon-session-cinnamon
TryExec=/usr/bin/cinnamon
Name=Cinnamon Desktop
Comment=Lightweight GTK Desktop

but it fails due to the missing package nemo.

Confirmed :slight_smile:

PS>
Yes, I noticed that looks like there isn’t its own Cinnamon file manager. Dolphin not even shows up in the menu, the only one available is PCManFm :slight_smile:

Maybe so. I installed Cinnamon on another computer and this doesn’t work so far with that method of launching.

Edit: Which means whomever is maintainer of Cinnamon needs to sharpen up the dependency list.

Also who is maintainer of Cinnamon? I see crisb has built some recent packages but is he really the maintainer?

Thanks to @crisb now Cinnamon is 3.2.8 is in repo!

Of note: The bug report (https://issues.openmandriva.org/show_bug.cgi?id=2102) still says ‘In Progress’.

So I run ‘urpmi cinnamon’ and 85 packages install. There are ‘Cinnamon’ and ‘Cinnamon (Software Rendering)’ entries now in sddm login page. If I select ‘Cinnamon’ I get a black, unresponsive desktop with 3 Icons in upper left corner for donate, join, and welcome. Also there is an error dialog box:

“Cinnamon just crashed. You are currently in Fallback Mode.”

Selecting ‘Cinnamon (Software Rendering)’ merely gets the black, unresponsive desktop with 3 Icons in upper left corner. So how do you get it to work? Here’s pastebin of packages installed.

https://pastebin.com/nx0BzhQi

I am aware it’s still in progress in fact many things are still broken, but I see the update and I just make a flying test :wink:

I don’t remember all modifications I did and I’ll wait for next iso before to perform a fresh install.

What’s in your ~/.xsession-errors?

I think I’ll do the same with Cinnamon and Mate. Lets let crisb do his work first.

Oddly nothing, maybe because I have to Ctl>Alt>Delete out of Cinnamon to return to sddm login screen?

$ cat ~/.xsession-errors
cat: /home/ben79/.xsession-errors: No such file or directory

Same here. I’d rather wait for a new ISO and so a fresh install.
At worst, If things go for long I will try another install of the same ISO.

I tried with build 993 and I experienced the same as @ben79 so I analysed my ~/.xsession-errors and I discovered there is still a missing dependency. So I installed it
sudo urpmi lib64xfixes-gir4.0
and now Cinnamon is working again. Maybe there are some other missing packages because some other thinks, such as Cinnamon Control Center, don’t work.