How to create or have mounted at boot a data partition with KDE Partition Manager

OK let’s demonstrate how to either create a data (storage) partition or how to create a mount point for an existing one. Some users requested this for NTFS partition presumably to share with Windows on a dual boot computer. It does not matter what file system type you use as far as I know. I believe you can do the same with an ext3 or ext4 partition. (But I’m not 100% positive about that).

First open KDE Partition Manager and we see a 1 TB hard drive that already has half of it dedicated to a storage partition with mount point of /Data1, there is also already a /Data2 on this computer on another hard drive. So for demonstration the Linux monkey will create a NTFS 20 GB partition and set mount point as /Data3. Observe:

And we have created a new NTFS 20 GB storage partition. Now to set mount point. This is where you would begin with an existing storage partition if you wish to set a mount point to have it automatically mounted at every boot.

3 Likes

To set mount point of an existing or recently created storage partition. In this example I am going to select to use by UUID instead of by Device Node to be compatible with the way OpenMandriva writes the file /etc/fstab. However either way will work.

Select ‘OK’ and then in next window select “Save changes”:

and that’s it! Mount point set. It will be mounted every time you boot and available in Dolphin or other file manager.

2 Likes

And the final proof of concept is in your /etc/fstab file. In this example:

2 Likes

Any corrections or additions are welcome. Just post here or PM me.

Thank you very much.
It works.
It is very helpful.

1 Like

Thanks for letting me know that my How To is on the right track to help other users.

For those who multi-boot with other Linux systems you can also save some things like Firefox and Thunderbird profiles to a Folder on your /Data partition. Then in each OS you create a symbolic link to those so that the information in your Firefox and Thunderbird are the same for all OS’s. You can also do this for user settings for some often used software like Video and Audio players if you wish.

1 Like

It is better you keep the same Firefox or Thunderbird version on all OS or you may have some trouble with add-ons. Share the same firefox profile between OpenMandriva and Debian stable could be not a good idea.

To add a data partition during OM Lx install process you need to use Manual Partitioning. You would select the partition from the list on the partitioning page and in the drop down menu select say /usr and change that to whatever you want to name your partition such as /Data1.

Screen shot to come.