Enjoying ROME 23.03 and a few issues

Hello beautiful girls and guys of OpenMandriva :slight_smile:
Congratulations first of all for the rolling version with KDE, it feels fast, very snappy and polished already. I love the Zen architecture support and the .iso you provide with the minimalistic KDE, it’s clean and unbloated, so it must be. On top of that, no snaps, no flatpaks, no AppArmors and no SELinuxes preinstalled, it really feels like pure GNU/Linux heaven :drooling_face: (well we still are on systemd). I hope you can continue improving OM and attract more people, because it seems lately that people are more and more interested in curated rolling releases with KDE, and there aren’t many around, while the old dogs all have their issues and anti-K.I.S.S. agendas.

With that regard a couple of things I noticed:
From the OM Welcome screen and the terminal, openshot, handbrake and bottles can not be installed.
(I have enabled all the remaining OM repositories in the picker (not “testing”), and tested it in a VBox VM and with a Ventoy Live-usb on bare metal, on a double AMD system, Ryzen 5, Radeon RX 6k)
The terminal outputs:

[tester@opmv ~]$ sudo dnf in openshot
Last metadata expiration check: 0:00:17 ago on Tue 28 Mar 2023 01:29:28 EEST.
Error: 
 Problem: conflicting requests
  - package openshot-3.0.0-1.noarch requires python-libopenshot, but none of the providers can be installed
  - package openshot-2.6.1-1.noarch requires python-libopenshot, but none of the providers can be installed
  - package python-libopenshot-0.3.0-3.znver1 requires libopenshot.so.23()(64bit), but none of the providers can be installed
  - nothing provides libprotobuf.so.22.1.0()(64bit) needed by lib64openshot23-0.3.0-3.znver1
(try to add '--skip-broken' to skip uninstallable packages)
[tester@opmv ~]$ sudo dnf in handbrake
Last metadata expiration check: 0:00:06 ago on Tue 28 Mar 2023 01:29:28 EEST.
Error: 
 Problem: conflicting requests
  - nothing provides libx264.so.163()(64bit) needed by handbrake-1.6.1-1.znver1
[tester@opmv ~]$ sudo dnf in bottles
Last metadata expiration check: 0:30:37 ago on Tue 28 Mar 2023 01:29:28 EEST.
Error: 
 Problem: problem with installed package 7zip-22.01-1.znver1
  - installed package 7zip-22.01-1.znver1 obsoletes p7zip < 22.01-1 provided by p7zip-17.04-1.znver1
  - package 7zip-22.01-1.znver1 obsoletes p7zip < 22.01-1 provided by p7zip-17.04-1.znver1
  - package bottles-2022.8.14-2.noarch requires p7zip, but none of the providers can be installed
  - conflicting requests

Regarding DnfDrake: though I’m a terminal person, I think a) for more GUI orientated people it should support the searching and (installation) of multiple packages, and b) since the “All” category contains “installed” and “not installed” it should really show everything, for example if you type openshot nothing is being shown, you have to click explicitly on “not installed” to show it. Maybe “All” results could be shown in 2 boxes (green and orange) in the same frame, just saying.

Anyway, that’s all for the moment, cheers.

1 Like

Welcome @omvfan to OpenMandriva and our forum. And thanks for the kind words.

Thanks for reporting these issues, big thanks actually. openshot and handbrake appear to simply need rebuilt for updating dependencies. bottles needs update because package 7zip obsoletes p7zip. With any luck I should get these all rebuilt tonight.

• My personal opinion is that considering this is the operating budget for a small group of unpaid, all volunteer contributors:

• That our group does do some rather good work.

Partial success. openshot and handbrake should install now. Note that I am only verifying that the packages will install. We will wait for you to tell us if they are working OK.

bottles builds resulted in “Tests failed” so those will need the attention of a real developer. But problems don’t look to difficult so I expect this to be resolved as soon as someone has time to look into this.

Good work, both are installing now. :+1:

1 Like

bottles should install now thanks to fix by @rugyada.

Developer @AngryPenguin just told me that the bottles devs have asked distros to remove bottles from repos and tell users to use flatpak to install it.

wow, that is some news. Well, not that I need it anyway, there are always VM solutions for those cases (or even vanilla WINE).

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.