Distribution-Specific Installation Partitioning Recommendtions For LX 3.03?

Hi Everyone.
Just downloaded & tested the latest release of LX 3.03 on both my desktop and laptop machines… very impressive! Nice work, really!
I searched through the forum looking for any relevant best practices recommendations for optimizing the installation, particularly regarding schemes for file system choices, mount points, disk partition sizes and locations, etc., but didn’t find anything specific for OM LX 3, and I would like to ask if anyone has any suggestions they would care to share.
Any ideas or preferred results derived from personal experience?
If so, I would truly appreciate your input on the subject. I want to optimize the installations and maximize the performance.
Thank you very much. I look forward to your replies.
Sincerely,

You may retrieve some useful information in the OpenMandriva Quick-Start guide.

About optimization this highly depends on your machine (just for instance if you have a solid state disk or a normal one) and on your needs.

Two answers for the price of one>

Based on the detail in your original post I’d say go with ext4 fs and partition with or without a separate /home depending on your preference. Otherwise don’t over think this. Otherwise you will spend a lot of time trying to get something that most users can’t tell any difference in performance. For instance I guarantee you that most of us can not tell the difference in a system primarily compiled with Clang vs. GCC.

That depends on what your hardware is and how you plan to use your system. Details. For one important detail exactly how are you measuring performance? There is no one best way for all hardware and use cases.
Are you doing scientific calculations or heavy mathematical stuff? Developing? Gaming? Unless you are doing something like these or otherwise very heavy use of CPU and RAM the standard install is pretty close to optimum. YMMV.

:smiling_imp:

Thanks for your replies.

I don’t have any particularly specific purpose requirements, so I will proceed with the standard default installation for now.

If I really want to go all out, I suppose there is no substitute for running actual A-B comparison testing with the exact equipment and software use intended to generate analytical data.

Thanks again for your help.

Forgot I wrote this and then remembered that I intended to clarify. I mean by most of us people who would be considered ordinary Linux desktop users. Developers may notice the performance differences and certainly know about differences in the code. Also anyone that uses computers for math/science type purposes, ect. might notice differences in performance.