Different widgets for different Activities

Hello,

• _OpenMandriva Lx version:_Lx.3.02

• Desktop environment (KDE, LXQT…): KDE

• _Description of the issue (screenshots if relevant):_Cannot set different widgets in Activities

• _Relevant informations (hardware involved, software version, logs or output…):_configuring desktop

When trying to setup two “Activities” and choosing for both “Activities” a different background is no problem.
But when I want to get different widgets, I cannot find out how to do this.
They appear on both Activities in stead of a particular choosen “Activity”. I first did an “Unlock widgets”
What am I forgetting?

LX 3.0.2 fully updated in vbox. I don’t see this behaviour. I mean I created 3 “activities” with different widgets in each of them and the widgets of one activity doesn’t appear on another.
Try to play with this setting: “Remember the current virtual desktop for each activity …”

I have already installed Lx.3.02 alongside my PCLinuxOS distro.
Because I cannot understand why you are not facing this problem, I tried the same steps I execute for
installing two activities on another linux distro I have installed on my second computer which is: KDE-Neon.
Without any problem I could establish there two Activities with different widgets on it.
So I will give here the steps which I execute to setup an extra Activity so you can perhaps detect what I am doing wrong or where I forgot to do something:

1. Right-click on an empty space of the desktop and select “Activities”
  2. At the left side of the desktop appears a pane “Activities”. Click on “+ Create activity” at the botom of that pane.
  3. A window “Create a New Activity-Plasma” pops up. In the “General” tab write a name of that general activity for instance “Internet”.
  4. After having done that click on “Create”.
  5. In the “Activities” pane the “Internet” activity appears. Click on it.
  6. The desktop goes black (don’t panic). Now right-click on that desktop and choose “Configure Desktop”.
  7. The “Desktop Settings-Plasma” window appears.
  8. Choose a suitable wallpaper and click on “Apply”, then click “O.K.”
  9. After having finished those steps you can start adding a widget to it (= on that particular Activity “desktop”) in the usual way.

Hope this will make things more clear. Otherwise I will give up.

1 Like

Following your steps I have created Activities with different wallpaper and widgets :slight_smile:

Well I am happy AND flabbergasted! What is wrong with my OM distro then??

1 Like

It must be said that this is first pre-release announced ISO 1046

Don’t know if it actually matters however it worths of mention.

Where can I download that iso? Now clear which one I need then.
I installed an iso version: Lx.3.02-something x68_64-something.
How can I check if I have installed the correct version?

TPG announced it yesterday.
You installed a previous ISO obviously. Theoretically by fully updating it you should get the same as current latest ISO, but you should add and enable /testing repository with all the known and unknown issues you will hit (that’s 99.9999% unavoidable ATM because of recent KApps and other stuff major update).
BTW /testing repo is not something that common end-users should even know/care about.

Details for download in the above post I linked.

“Theoretically by fully updating it you should get the same as current latest ISO…”

Did that as a first attempt but… GRRRRRRR!!! …same result.

“but you should add and enable /testing repository with all the known and unknown issues you will hit (that’s 99.9999% unavoidable ATM because of recent KApps and other stuff major update).
BTW /testing repo is not something that common end-users should even know/care about.”

How can I do this?

BTW: when visiting this site I am missing a lot of symbols, they just are small little squares
and I have to hoover over them to see what they mean…

urpmi.addmedia --update main_test http://abf-downloads.openmandriva.org/3.0/repository/x86_64/main/testing/

Full disclaimer: as it’s not recommended for common users, use it at your own risk.

Yes, noticed.
I’m going to talk with Infra Team.
Postedit: in the meanwhile it seems already solved, you confirm?

FWIW I still have small squares every where on Forum. :dizzy_face:

Try clear cache and cookies.

“Try clear cache and cookies.”

Still got those little empty squares.

Update: I browsed to OM forum using PaleMoon web browser: same result…

“Full disclaimer: as it’s not recommended for common users, use it at your own risk.”
yes, I will do that but why is the OM version I am using the problem?
If anything goes wrong I simply re-install the who OM distro, but I still want to know why my version
does not do this Activity thing.

to: @raphael @jclvanier

Never said that’s that. Just mentioning my install was using such ISO, to be precise in description :slight_smile:
Also, it’s the fist time I test Activities so I cannot say if it worked or not and how before.

Difference (?)

Mine didn’t go black, it picked up the KDE wallpaper by its own.

Yep, me too. I’m sure it will be fixed soon. OpenMandriva Mighty Minions are hard at work improving Forum. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

@ rugyada:

You are right, OM comes back with a some wallpaper in stead of a black screen. My two other
distros do come back with a black screen. in the “heat of the typing” I forgot this , sorry for that.
Have to change this when it comes to some “how to”. But who is interested anyway…

1 Like

I don’t see those empty squares. Could you show a screen shot?

Ok I saw them after having emptied the cache of the browser.