Crash of the local disks configuration tool

Hello,

• _OpenMandriva Lx version:_4.0

• Desktop environment (KDE, LXQT…): KDE

• _Description of the issue (screenshots if relevant):_Systematic Crash of local disks configuration tool

• Relevant informations (hardware involved, software version, logs or output…):partitionmanager-20190712-191122.kcrash.txt (9.1 KB)

I never was able to run this tool (ex: to create a mount point of some local disk. I had to modify manually the fstab file).
It crashes after successfully scanned two local disks (/dev/sda and /dev/sdb), crashes when scanning /dev/sdc, where system is installed (it is an SSD disk, whenever this information could help).

Unable to reproduce, working here.

? ??
What should I do, or give to you ?

Nothing, there is nothing I can do. You would need to go to #openmandriva on IRC for this.

can you return

inxi -Fxxxz

inxi_log.txt (3.0 KB)
Here you are.

It’s always a good idea to try reinstalling a package that isn’t working. Especially when is a one user situation like this:

$ sudo dnf reinstall partitionmanager

The output you posted looks like a missing dependency maybe.

POST-EDIT: If you turn out to have a cooker version of partitionmanager and you now have only rock repos enabled this might fix this:

$ sudo dnf downgrade partitionmanager

To begin with what version of partitionmanager do you have installed and what repos did you have enabled when you installed it? Post output of this command:

$ rpm -qa partitionmanager

The output in the file in your first post does not make sense for a Rock system. You can check this yourself with the command ‘rpm -q --whatprovides’. Like this:

$ rpm -q --whatprovides libc.so.6
libc6-2.29-5.x86_64

libc/glibc are basic system packages every system should have. If you don have that package um, I don’t know. But you also have some:

$ rpm -q --whatprovides libgio-2.0.so.0
no package provides libgio-2.0.so.0

$ rpm -q --whatprovides libglib-2.0.so.0
no package provides libglib-2.0.so.0

There are more of these .so files that don’t fit a Rock system. It’s like you have a cooker version of partitionmanager installed. Which would be bad.

Could you please post entire output including command you used of:

$ sudo dnf repolist

Note: Maybe I was wrong when I said I couldn’t help before.

never mix disks GPT & MBR with UEFI
does gparted does errors ?

Good catch. I missed that and that would cause problems, like potentially big problems.

means I must reinstall the system ?
I’m beginning to get chills…
Maybe I misunderstood something I read on the release notes, about the need to use gdisk.
Another mistake I guess was to enable all the ‘enablable’ repositories, except but testing ones.
Again, I was mislead by the old experience with Lx 3, where this operation was more linear.
Anyway, which repositories have I leave, at the end ?
Finally, let you summarize the commands I need to type, to grasp any indications, please.

repolist.txt (1.6 KB)
By the way:
I reinstalled the partition manager, Version:
partitionmanager-4.0.0-1.x86_64
( from rock repository)
Looking at the repolist, please suggest me which I must retain and which other I must leave off.

Yes.

You must set all conventional and SSD drives to either MBR OR GPT you can’t mix that. If you have UEFI/EFI boot system then they have to be GPT. All of them.

And you have every repo enabled you should enable only repositories from one file only. For rock x86_64 this file only >>> openmandriva-rock-x86_64.repo.

Repos are explained here and here. It is important to know that Cooker, Rolling, and Rock/Stable/Release are all separate operating systems, they are all separate releases. Can not mix them, can not mix repositories.

Just two additional question:

1. If I re-install the system, How to ensure before, reinstalling, that SSD and conventionals have got GPT ? How to force it? Or it is automatically done when reinstalling ?
  2. Realease repositories are the stablest and most advisable for LX4, correct ?

Forgive me, but it is all more complicated than Lx 3…

Not automatic. Your SSD is already GPT don’t touch it. This is from your inxi -F:

Drives: Local Storage: total: 1.82 TiB used: 835.68 GiB (44.9%)
ID-1: /dev/sda vendor: Toshiba model: DT01ACA100 size: 931.51 GiB speed: rotation: 7200 rpm
serial: rev: A750 scheme: MBR
ID-2: /dev/sdb vendor: Seagate model: ST500DM002-1BC142 size: 465.76 GiB speed: 3.0 Gb/s rotation: 7200 rpm
serial: rev: JC4B scheme: MBR
ID-3: /dev/sdc vendor: Samsung model: SSD 850 EVO 500GB size: 465.76 GiB speed: 3.0 Gb/s serial: rev: 2B6Q
scheme: GPT

To convert your conventional drives will remove everything on them. But it is easy to do:

Assuming the drive you wish to change is /dev/sda (change /sda to the actual identifier for your drive):

$ sudo fdisk /dev/sda

Type g to write gpt partition table:
Command (m for help): g

Type w to write changes to disk:
Command (m for help): w

Type q to quit fdisk:
Command (m for help): q

But you need to know for sure what you are doing. Know for sure if you drive is /dev/sdb or /dev/sdc or whatever. Once you do this you will have an empty drive with GPT partition table.

1 Like

Yes. But if you would read the links I provided you would know that right now Rock and Release are the same thing. If you want to know more read the links.

Not if you know what you are doing before you start. When you install the OM Lx 4 ISO you have by default Rock main/release and Rock main/updates repositories enabled. Stick to Rock and there is nothing any more complicated than in Lx 3. Use the om-repo-picker to enable the extra repos:

And leave that line “Update Channel” on Rock and don’t ever change it. Don’t enable any other “Update Channels” ever. Also do not enable testing repositories.

1 Like

Thanks. I will follow your suggestions. First of all, I will back up data on SDD and HDDs…
Since System is on /dev/sdc, maybe is not strictly necessary re-install it, or it is advisable as well ?

No you need to reinstall your OM system as well after have mixed repositories enabled for a period of time. It would be to difficult to try to fix everything.

:+1:

Changed all the HDD to GPT.
Done Backup of data.
Reinstalled system.
All seem work, now, except TV connected by HDMI.