Candidate ISO build 1082

I think the overall quality of ISO 1082 is very good. Our developers have done an excellent job with a specific mention of all the work done by TPG. Thanks, much appreciated in this corner.

My disappointment (above in post 28 I think) is 'cause I’ve been busting my rear end today to check some things and try to mention before public release not just things that need to be fixed but also things that could be fixed before public release. I thought this was what QA was supposed to do. You know to make the overall quality of release as high as we possibly can.

I never have been aware of a rule that testing was to be done only in ‘Live’ ISO. I’ve been laboring under the perception that we were to test both the ISO, ‘Live’, ‘Install’, and ‘Basic Graphic Mode’ and then to install the system on the ISO and test that as well. Furthermore that the bulk of testing specifically should take place on that installed system as that is where it is most important to users that everything they expect to work actually works. Which do users use the most? The installed system by far. From experience I know users judge the distro more by how the installed system works. If any of Y’all noticed I’ve always been insistent that testing needs to be done on real hardware not just in VirtualBox and have done so diligently.

Maybe I’m wrong but to me Release Manager, TPG, is arbitrarily dictating a new condition regarding how we do Quality Assurance on a release. If I am wrong please correct me. I’ll deal with the embarrassment of how much time I’ve been wasting on my own…

1 Like

I have the funeral of my sister tomorrow and I did not really want to be engainging in a debate about what should work and what should not. All those involved in this thread have dedicated long hours of updating, building, fixing software packages then testing and bug reporting it has been a huge cooperative effort by everyone involved and yet now after all that cooperation we are bickering over the few final issues and unjustifiably harsh words are being thrown around without any thought as to the circumstances or feelings of others.

The number of issues under discussion are few. Of the issues in question there is now a patch for the nVidia drivers which allows them to build under kernel-4.11.1 this is available under bug 2169.
The issue of akonadiconsole can now be resolved by the simple expediant of creating a new package for akonadiconsole please see bug 2172 for an explanation.
As for the issue of Calamares installer not starting this has happened before and crisb fixed it by reverting some code in calamares. I have checked git and there have been some attempts by upstream to fix the issue but these changes were reverted because they did not improve matters. Finally version 3 came out and crisb’s patches were dropped and it seems that the problem is back again.
I note that TPG has just built V3.1 let’s hope that this fixes the issue. The only remaining issue that requires a little work is kdenlive. If we can’t fix it in a reasonable time then we could simply leave it off the iso. And ship it at a later date.
If you would all like to cast your minds back to the 2014 release and recall how proud we all were that we had put out a release that has proved to be so good that people are still using it!
What is the problem with fixing a few issues that will make all the difference to the quality of the reviews in the public arena.
There will always be bugs in any distro but there really shouldn’t be bugs that we know about and that we know how to fix.

2 Likes

Subscript,
I have just built kdenlive git locally and it works!! Though it does segfault on exit.

2 Likes

The good new is that kernel 4.11.3-2 (I think it’s due to the kernel) improved display window in virtualbox. The ISO menu starts at 1024x768 and Plymouth screen as well.
The so-so is that subsequent windows resize again to 800x600 :worried:

Install “standalonein virtualbox keep on working for me as before.
But window is still small.

Then Plymouth as above in live mode.
Then calamares:

I’ve run out of real hardware available for testing. ATM I can not confirm or deny whether or not new calamares version fixed the Install on hardware issue.

The above testing have been made using LXQt ISO 1090, which is supposed to include new kernel and new calamares versions.

Hope it helps.

3 Likes

Good morning for all (it’s morning here in Argentina !).
Good afternoon for the Europeans !

My report, part 1.

It was done over direct hardware (no virtual machine).

As others had reported, I had tried to install directly from USB at boot without success.The machine simply reboot very soon in the installation process.

The USB can boot in Live mode. I’m writing from OMV Lx 3.02, build 1082, right now.

One single observation: if I select “Errata” at the boot screen, the errata of LX 3.01 appears (anyway, that errata is empty). But in the page of 3.01 errata there’s a link pointing to “Release 3”. Clicking on it goes to all the articles under “release 3”, as expected. The point is “3.02/Errata” EXIST.

Another point, common to all versions of OMV Lx, is that the License only appears in English, even after selecting “Spanish” in the first screen after the boot screen. Mandriva 2010.2 had the license in Spanish !! (I guess this is not that much serious, as 99,9999% of users will press “next” without reading the license !)

I have a nVidia GTX 650 graphic card. inxi says, apparently, OMV Live is not using nvidia proprietary (logically !) nor nouveau driver. Graphics are at full resolution (1920x1080 for my configuration).

$ inxi -F System: Host: localhost.localdomain Kernel: 4.11.2-desktop-1omv x86_64 (64 bit) Desktop: KDE Plasma 5.9.5 Distro: OpenMandrivaLinux 3.0 Einsteinium [...] Graphics: Card: NVIDIA GK107 [GeForce GTX 650] Display Server: OpenMandriva X.org 119.3 drivers: (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: 1920 x 1080 @ 60.00hz GLX Renderer: Gallium 0.4 on NVE7 GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 17.1.0 [...]

But lspci says it’s using nouveau:

$ lspci -v [...] 01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GK107 [GeForce GTX 650] (rev a1) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller]) Subsystem: eVga.com. Corp. GK107 [GeForce GTX 650] Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 26 Memory at f6000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16M] Memory at e0000000 (64-bit, prefetchable) [size=256M] Memory at f0000000 (64-bit, prefetchable) [size=32M] I/O ports at e000 [size=128] Expansion ROM at 000c0000 [disabled] [size=128K] Capabilities: Kernel driver in use: nouveau Kernel modules: nvidiafb, nouveau

No glitches, at least no up to now (after 20 minutes of use) !!

Checklist, part 1:

Checklist OMLx 3.02 development ISO build 1082

Does iso burns on usb stick - YES -
Does the grub/boot screen appears - YES - (*)
Does the options in grub/boot screen works - YES, but not all options tested. “Direct installation” option can be selected, and installation process is launched, but installation cannot be completed.

(*) In my PC, I can select which drive must be used to boot. I have two options regarding USB: “USB drive” and “UEFI mode USB drive”. If I select first option, I get 4 options at grub menu. If I select the second, a fifth option appears: “Use UEFI image at boot”. A good proof that UEFI works at least in my PC (3 1/2 years old).

LIVE MODE in VirtualBox: NOT TESTED

LIVE MODE in Hardware
Does autologin for user works - YES -
Does default graphical desktop shows after login - YES -
Does default graphical desktop is useable (basics, like menu, file manager, web browser) - YES -
Plymouth does show up

INSTALLATION in Hardware
Install starts from ISO menu, but after some seconds, PC reboots. A known bug.

Edit:
Glitches appeared !!!

But they’re only notable after starting to see YouTube videos and Facebook pages !!!

4 Likes

New nVidia proprietry rpms available in testing repo. Please test and report.
Thank you,
Colin

1 Like

Thanks Colin, I’m sure a lot of nVidia users are looking forward to testing. Unfortunately I’m not finding them here. Need help finding.

Edit: You blithering idiot. They would be in non-free-testing. Look there ben79, and drink your coffee before posting…

Edit 2: The nVidia driver packages are here. Currently for nVidia current. Do we need new packages for nVidia Legacy versions?

I think it is just a legal issues: a contract in another language is a different contract. When you find software contract in languages different from English usually somewhere you may find it is translated for a favour but the valid one remains the English one.

2 Likes

I thought that, in Mandriva case (not sure about OpenMandriva), the “legal” license was in French.

In any case, it would be enough to state that “valid” license is the English one (or the French one), and translated licenses are given as a “guide” to what license says.

2 Likes

Makes sense to me. One problem currently is we don’t have anyone working with languages and translations. Last person we had doing this went bye bye. Volunteers needed…

2 Likes

I guess a good starting point is to use the “Mandriva 2010.2” version of translated licenses !

The only needed is someone that clarify the volunteers where changes were made in Licence from 2010.2 up to now.

2 Likes

I repeat what I said before: I guess this is not that much serious [problem], as 99,9999% of users will press “next” without reading the license !

2 Likes

D[quote=“ben79, post:40, topic:1194”]
Last person we had doing this went bye bye.
[/quote]

We also have problems with Transifex and their new licensing model. I thought we could migrate to Zanata (If I remember the name correctly of the open source alternative, hosted and maintained by RH)

1 Like

Good morning / afternoon for all.

My report, part 2.

I installed OMV LX 3.02 (b 1082) on a partition.

A note: all installation processes were started from a Live boot of OMV Lx3 (in a previous build of Lx3, I tried to install directly from the grub menu option and it didn’t work, so now I always try to install from inside a running Live mode).

First test was a fail. I used “use an existing partition” option to install OMV, but after all the unpack of the big file, an error appeared saying something about the partition (sorry, I didn’t write it !!), and installation failed.

Then I tried again, but using the “manual partition” option, without formatting anything. I don’t know why it failed again. Installation finished well in this case, but after a reboot, and selecting the right option at grub menu, start up process stopped trying to do something with root. I really didn’t care too much. I rebooted into my 2014.2, formatted the future root partition of Lx3, started again the installation process, installation finished, and reboot works well. Now, I have a Lx 3.02 system working.

I still didn’t try to install the nVidia proprietary driver (from non-free or testing repo).

Checklist OMLx 3.02 development ISO build 1082, continued:

INSTALLED SYSTEM in VirtualBox: NOT TESTED

INSTALLED SYSTEM in Hardware
Does login for user works - YES -
Does default graphical desktop shows after login - YES -
Does default graphical desktop is usable (basics, like menu, file manager, web browser) - YES -
Plymouth: I don’t remember. I’ll see this next time I boot in Lx 3.02

INSTALLATION in Hardware
“Use an existing partition” option didn’t work, but I’m not so sure the problem was really that option. I managed to finally install a working system formatting the partition from outside and then using the “manual partitioning” option.

Reported by others: “calamares appears for a short while and suddenly closes”
This happened to me if I try to launch the installation process from a Live session more than once. It works the first time, but a reboot is needed to launch the installation again (after, for example, cancelling the first installation attempt).

KMail (affected by a known bug) was not tested.

4 Likes

Yeap. It seems very interesting. Of at least two things are strictly needed (imo):
– a real structured team
– a way to add the translated texts to the isos in coordination with cooker. I’m a total newbe in that matter and I have no idea how to proceed.

3 Likes

@ben79: I didn’t found nVidia drivers here (Index of /3.0/repository/x86_64/non-free/testing/) nor there (Index of /3.0/repository/x86_64/main/testing/).

I found a nvidia proprietary rpm here: Index of /3.0/repository/x86_64/non-free/updates/

Versions: current, 340 and 304, along with some others non-free packages (like Skype and Flash Player).

Can those packages be used on Lx 3.02?

Yes.
Edit: The packages probably got moved and maybe no one announced they were doing so? Any way if packages are in 3.0 repos they can be used in 3.02 or any other Lx 3 system. Lx 3.02 is just a new spin of Lx 3 with updated packages.

1 Like

My report, part 3 A.

INSTALLED SYSTEM in Hardware
Plymouth: No.
After text saying is using kernel 4.11.3, a text screen appears, showing all the modules are being loaded and finished during boot.

In OMCC, I launched the graphic card configuration, the nVidia card was recognized, and system “offered” to install the proprietary drivers. I accepted. Drivers version 378.13-3 were installed. I’m going to reboot now to see if system boots in graphic mode.

2 Likes

My report, part 3 B.

After installing the proprietary driver of my nVidia card, via OMCC, reboot, and I’m here again !

It works !!

$ lspci -v [...] 01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GK107 [GeForce GTX 650] (rev a1) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller]) Subsystem: eVga.com. Corp. GK107 [GeForce GTX 650] Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 30 Memory at f6000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16M] Memory at e0000000 (64-bit, prefetchable) [size=256M] Memory at f0000000 (64-bit, prefetchable) [size=32M] I/O ports at e000 [size=128] [virtual] Expansion ROM at 000c0000 [disabled] [size=128K] Capabilities: Kernel driver in use: nvidia Kernel modules: nvidiafb, nouveau, nvidia_drm, nvidia_current

A note: Plymouth still DOESN’T APPEAR. Still the text screen with modules loaded and finished. But now, in a lower resolution (less lines per screen). In 2014.2 it was the same. I guess nVidia driver doesn’t allow to use the full resolution at that point. It’s not a problem to me, but I prefer to have a plymouth “welcome”.

2 Likes

Well. Now with the nVidia at full speed, here goes my report, part 4.

First point: still some glitches in screen !!!. Much less than with nouveau, but there are some glitches. Is this a Plasma related problem???

I tested some programs. They all can be launched and used without problems:

• LibreOffice
  • Firefox. Audio in YouTube videos work. HTML5 automatically configured. In www.youtube.com/html5, all options (HTMLVideoElement, H.264, WebM VP8, Media Source Extensions, MSE & H.264, MSE & WebM VP9) are enabled by default.
  • Konsole
  • OMCC (it ask for my user password, not root password; but I’m the first user of the system)
  • Added some widgets: analog clock (it comes with Plasma), and yr.no meteorological forecast (downloaded and installed)
  • Stellarium (installed via OMCC)
  • GIMP (I really REALLY need GIMP 2.9 or later, because they can handle 16-bits per channel TIFF images)
  • kcalc
  • Clementine (I miss Amarok, but Clementine is not that bad)
  • Customization of hotkeys for some programs (via “Edit applications” in the “Start OMV” button). It can use, successfully, special keys like “Home”, “Browser” and “Search”. Rise and down audio volume can be directly used from special keys without configuring anything. GOOD POINT !
  • Configuration of mounting points for partitions (not defined during installation), even for FAT-32 and NTFS partitions, via OMCC.
  • Connection of a USB printer was detected !
  • Connection of a DSLR camera (Canon model) was detected and images could be downloaded.
  • Installed Aladin (aladin.u-strasbg.fr), an astronomy software. It requieres Java. I could install java 1.8.0, and use Aladin without problems.
4 Likes