Call for testing OM Lx 3.01 .iso's

Where are my manners :dizzy_face: and on Christmas day!:santa:

Welcome D27.:grinning:

Hi,

http://pastebin.com/iGn51NY3

Hi Ben,

Thanks for welcoming me.

In fact, I was present for long on the french forum but reluctant to write in english.
But necessities are what they are and I try to make an effort to help. …Maybe because it’s Christmas …or is it because I admire what some guys are doing for us, insisting and insisting months after months.

By the way I also made an effort with Pastebin, that I refuse to use usually. This stuff is almost a bigger spy than Google and others…

Bye

Good job of posting info there. There are alternatives to pastebin. Whether any of them are more secure I don’t know.

Excellent report. Thank you.
After a some study I think I may have worked out what is going wrong.
Here are the two boot lines extracted from the logs…
The first is the “USER mode” and the second the “ROOT mode”
If you look at the second one you will note that the kernel command line calls the vesa driver “xdriver=vesa” and also supplies ‘nomodeset’ to the kernel. The nomodeset parameter instructs the kernel to not load video drivers and use BIOS modes instead until X is loaded. This should mean that the nouveau driver is not loaded at boot
If you look further down the log you will see that at LINE 583 ‘glx’ is loaded by default.
Now the ‘glx’ driver requires a device to operate on, as you can see further down it starts to look for it (Line 610) but it isn’t present because it has not been created by udev because we stopped the driver from loading at kernel boot with the ‘nomodeset’ parameter. It looks to me like the problem is that setting the ‘glx’ module to be loaded by default is incompatible with the use of the ‘nomodeset’ parameter and as a side effect prevents booting using xdriver=vesa as the default driver for X. This means that booting in basic graphics mode is not going to work.
I’m not yet completely familiar with the graphics needs of the latest KDE Plasma but I think that it does require 3D graphics as the default and thus the ‘glx’ module so booting to a non-3d graphics mode in KDE may no longer be possible. A possible solution would be to boot to LxQt It’s something we need to look at and have some discussion.
Thanks again for your efforts.

Kernel command line: BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-4.9.0-desktop-1omv root=UUID=b87da8f3-cad2-4e04-8095-c2dce4fa42b4 ro quiet splash resume=UUID=702f9b2f-162a-40c2-a3c1-b0bf6015db46 rw logo.nologo acpi_osi=Linux “acpi_osi=!Windows 2012” acpi_backlight=vendor audit=0 rd.timeout=120

Kernel command line: BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-4.9.0-desktop-1omv root=UUID=b87da8f3-cad2-4e04-8095-c2dce4fa42b4 ro single failsafe nomodeset xdriver=vesa vga=788 acpi_osi=Linux “acpi_osi=!Windows 2012” acpi_backlight=vendor systemd.log_level=debug systemd.log_target=kmsg log_buf_len=1M audit=0 rd.timeout=120

1 Like

So, here is another workaround to fix the black screen (and the folders not be created in user’s /home) in virtualbox.

Working for me

When you get the black screen at reboot just after install, switch to VT (ctrl+alt+F2)

• For first, I login as my user. Then:

• more /etc/sddm.conf

• read the lines:

[Autologin]

User=live

:worried:

• login as root, then run mc by:

• #mc

• go to: /etc/sddm.conf

• Edit

• replace “live” by your user name

• Save

• Quit

• #reboot

edit adding mention that’s referring to virtualbox problems.

1 Like

@rugyada This is the fix for nVidia drivers on OpenMandriva Lx 3.01?

@PCSoftwarehulp No, it’s my own workaround for the virtualbox black screen issue/non-issue.

Postedit:
I didn’t carefuly read all the posts about nvidia/nouveau drivers & Co issues. Guess it’s not related though.

Yep, Calamares.
:innocent:

Build 760 working now.

Hi,

In fact, a big step with this 760, since the graphic session works now for Nvidia users. (didn’t work until yesterday 733).

Though the bugs were different, the solution seems to have been brought for both at the time.

GOOD JOB!

A few graphic artefacts with the mouse cursor are present anyway. This might, perhaps, be changed, using other theme …not intended yet -just terminating install on hard drive-

Bye

2 Likes

Awesome news !!!

I’m trying (*) to download this build in order to intall it on a real hardware.
If it works, as it should, I suggest to replace the current official 3.01 (SF, torrents) by this one unless the project is to name it 3.02.
Wdyt?

(*) “trying” because my connection isn’t that gorgeous …

OR… we could pause the updates, focus on hard testing and fine-tuning 760, and release 3.02 let’s say end of January.

It’s already 3.02 afaik.

Hi again,

Well, after changing theme, no more graphic problems, good!

What I noted at first use :

System :

• Grub 2 doesn’t list all the distributions present on my PC;
  • In Calamares, the option to adopt a different password for user and root doesn’t work;
  • Error with command “urpme --auto-orphans”
  • In some GTK2 applications (hardconf) the sliders (lateral lifts) change form when mouse flies over
  • Fail of fluidity with KDE effects (Nouveau involved)
  • Did not try to install Nvidia driver yet …hem…

Choices by default :

• Theme “Brise”, Icons, Cursor, and all the stuff Plasma5 => a disaster!"
  • Archaïc menu (=> I need Homerun)
  • Menu full screen “Takeoff” in “Alternatives” absolutely unreadable with transparent theme and white backgrounds

Other :

• No rpm “pysolFC”
  • No Homerun menu
  • No qtcurve windows working

Plasma5 :
…still immature

• No option to keep lateral-frames-windows when maximized
  • No weather widget working
  • etc…

Anyway, after changing themes an appearance, this release is perfectly usable, of course.

Bye

On some points I have to disagree :slight_smile:

In Calamares, the option to adopt a different password for user and root doesn’t work;

Working here, and must say always worked.

Error with command “urpme --auto-orphans”

Which error/s? I have run it today without any issue, it seems:

[root@omlx-760 ruru]# urpme --auto-orphans
To satisfy dependencies, the following 11 packages will be removed (81MB):                  

(orphan packages)
  fonts-ttf-chinese-0.2.20080216.1-18-omv2015.0.noarch
  fonts-ttf-japanese-0.20120403-9-omv2015.0.noarch
  fonts-ttf-korean-1.0.2-0.080608.10-omv2015.0.noarch
  lib64Xsettings-client0-0.10-14-omv2015.0.x86_64
  lib64boost_python3_1.60.0-1.60.0-5-omv2015.0.x86_64
  lib64gettextpo0-0.19.8.1-2-omv2015.0.x86_64
  lib64lo10k1_0-1.1.0-4-omv2015.0.x86_64
  lib64mb1-1.11-2-omv2015.0.x86_64
  lib64pinyin7-1.3.0-1-omv2015.0.x86_64
  lib64unistring2-0.9.7-1-omv2015.0.x86_64
  xli-20061110-20-omv2015.0.x86_64
Remove 11 packages? (y/N) y
removing fonts-ttf-chinese-0.2.20080216.1-18-omv2015.0.noarch fonts-ttf-japanese-0.20120403-9-omv2015.0.noarch fonts-ttf-korean-1.0.2-0.080608.10-omv2015.0.noarch lib64Xsettings-client0-0.10-14-omv2015.0.x86_64 lib64boost_python3_1.60.0-1.60.0-5-omv2015.0.x86_64 lib64gettextpo0-0.19.8.1-2-omv2015.0.x86_64 lib64lo10k1_0-1.1.0-4-omv2015.0.x86_64 lib64mb1-1.11-2-omv2015.0.x86_64 lib64pinyin7-1.3.0-1-omv2015.0.x86_64 lib64unistring2-0.9.7-1-omv2015.0.x86_64 xli-20061110-20-omv2015.0.x86_64
removing package lib64gettextpo0-0.19.8.1-2.x86_64
     1/11: removing lib64gettextpo0-0.19.8.1-2.x86_64
                                 #########################################################
removing package lib64mb1-1.11-2.x86_64
     2/11: removing lib64mb1-1.11-2.x86_64
removing package xli-20061110-20.x86_64
     3/11: removing xli-20061110-20.x86_64
removing package fonts-ttf-japanese-0.20120403-9.noarch
     4/11: removing fonts-ttf-japanese-0.20120403-9.noarch
removing package lib64lo10k1_0-1.1.0-4.x86_64
     5/11: removing lib64lo10k1_0-1.1.0-4.x86_64
removing package lib64Xsettings-client0-0.10-14.x86_64
     6/11: removing lib64Xsettings-client0-0.10-14.x86_64
removing package fonts-ttf-korean-1.0.2-0.080608.10.noarch
     7/11: removing fonts-ttf-korean-1.0.2-0.080608.10.noarch
removing package fonts-ttf-chinese-0.2.20080216.1-18.noarch
     8/11: removing fonts-ttf-chinese-0.2.20080216.1-18.noarch
removing package lib64boost_python3_1.60.0-1.60.0-5.x86_64
     9/11: removing lib64boost_python3_1.60.0-1.60.0-5.x86_64
removing package lib64pinyin7-1.3.0-1.x86_64
    10/11: removing lib64pinyin7-1.3.0-1.x86_64
removing package lib64unistring2-0.9.7-1.x86_64
    11/11: removing lib64unistring2-0.9.7-1.x86_64
[root@omlx-760 ruru]# 

Theme “Brise”, Icons, Cursor, and all the stuff Plasma5 => a disaster!"

To me it seems not really “a disaster” :slight_smile:

No weather widget working

Well, the default weather widget is acceptable, anyway it works.
Meteo-qt instead gives me a strange: Error 401 Unhautorized - Try again later which I didn’t analize yet (and maybe will never do lol)

Archaïc menu

:+1: Agree, but I like more homerun-kicker (Alternatives > Application Menu)
The full-screen menu is not bad - for those who like this kind of stuff.

why f2fs is the default fs?
why a kernel .0?
is Lx3.01 a stable version or not?

Ciao Bella Signorina,

Calamares : Since message “Help for test wanted” and 720 release, I have been installing almost every day, a different version. In all of them, unmarking the case for different passwords has been OK, but not with this 760. SORRY!"

This problem -not effectiveness with passwords- was present in old version of Calamares, it reappeared here…

Besides => Another problem with creating the internet connection which had disappeared for sometime, has also reappeared… => at the point I am wondering if, for this 760, Calamares would not have been downgraded to an ancient version…

urpme --auto-orphans => Are you sure I can “safely” uninstall “123” rpm, amongst which all those of KDE?

Brise : You are free to be fond of “Buren columns” at the Louvre …and I, of the “Pieta” of Michelangelo, in your beautiful country! I suggest you come to France and I go to Genova. (…the native towm of an old grandmother of mine…)

Widget meteo : Of course, if you live in Genova you can easily set the “ONLY AVAILABLE WIDGET” to your town address… but if you would live, like me, in the far country side in the mountains, and that the only town address available is at 60 kilometres with completely different weather and temperature conditions, you would write what I did…
With “YAWP” not only my small village was available, but also the satellite meteorological map for the country…
As long as I can note regressions (and there are many more) in a supposed new version of anything, nobody can accuse me to be a liar or to exaggerate when I write : “IMMATURE”.

Archaïc menu : I am deeply confused to have to say to a lady that she is wrong, but…
The menu in full screen you indicate in “Alternatives” is not “Homerun” but “Takeoff” …Precisely the one I wrote here above, I cannot read with transparent theme and clear backgrounds…
The original “Homerun” is precisely the rpm I would like to have in the repositories.
…And this do not change my opinion that the one by default in the distrib is ARCHAÏC!

My dream as I used to explain on ancient Mandriva’s forums and more recently here to jclvanier, is to have a full screen menu which appears when you bring the mouse cursor at one point or edge of the screen. “Thus”, with one SINGLE CLICK you open an APPLICATION! …It is probably too complicate to realise, and devs prefer with the same gesture of mouse, offer plenty of options absolutely useless!

More bugs :

• No thumbnails of images in Dolphin
  • No icons at all in Dolpin under root

As you can see, what I wrote above is not a pure invention but facts I can observe here on my machine. I admit that not all equipments are responding the same way, and I admit also, some may have different conception of what has to be a PC.

24000 baci Bella Signorina.

seems working here

LOL Grazie :smile: Ciao a te!

Since message “Help for test wanted” and 720 release, I have been installing almost every day, a different version

Same here.

but not with this 760. SORRY!

No sorry :slight_smile: Just it’s a bit strange to me, as this option usually works and don’t remember giving any problem before - but I may have missed some bits here or there.

Are you sure I can “safely” uninstall “123” rpm, amongst which all those of KDE?

Surely not!
That’s why asked which kind of error, and in fact it seems more a deps/packages/… mistake. It may be worthy to file a bugreport or maybe better to start a new topic in forum so there could be some chances to get some more help. If my memory serves, @ben79 reported once a similar issue.

You are free to be fond of “Buren columns” at the Louvre …and I, of the “Pieta” of Michelangelo, in your beautiful country! I suggest you come to France and I go to Genova. (…the native towm of an old grandmother of mine…)

Matter of taste, right.

nobody can accuse me to be a liar or to exaggerate when I write : “IMMATURE”.

Not at all.
Agree that Plasma5 is not yet fully “mature” and stable despite they are developing it since some years now.
PS: On this subject there have been some attempts to keep good old OM KDE4 - and I’m sure would have made sense at that time - but now we have to accept things change and evolve.
Plasma5 is going better and better, let’s hope it will become mature enough in a short time.

Widget meteo, YAWP, homerun, […]

Anyway I have the feeling that we should look for bugs or malfunctionings of our own packaged apps/stuff (which are supposed to work elsewhere).
For suggestions or improvements one may also file a request for better features under trivial/enhancement importance at bugzilla.

If widget meteo doesn’t find your location or YAWP or homerun are no more available for Plasma5 then it seems to be an upstream lack/bug.
About meteo-qt, it was working before. This issue should be investigated maybe.

Menu/s

I may have miscalled it. Currently I’m not sure what is the proper name of what.
I notice that they are calling the 3 launchers in Alternatives:

• Application Dashboard (Dash?) - the fullscreen launcher
  • Application launcher - the Kickoff-looking one
  • Application Menu - the one I knew as homerun-kicker

…And this do not change my opinion that the one by default in the distrib is ARCHAÏC

+1: The current default one s**ks :stuck_out_tongue:

Going to request the App Menu as default, ssssst! :innocent:

24000 baci

:heart:

-No thumbnails of images in Dolphin
-No icons at all in Dolpin under root

Have you enabled previews? Both in user dolphin and in root one?

Hi Luca,

I can see that…
But not here => …Probably because I changed defaults settings or theme. I don’t know.

As you can see : yes.