I will use Rock repositories only

I have installed OM Lx 4.1 also know as OM Lx Rock

I have installed OM Lx 4.1 also know as OM Lx Rock

:grin:

1 Like

:rofl:

ā€¦Unless I know what Iā€™m going to do, how to do it, what to expect, and how to repair (just in case).

1 Like

IMO for our users the only way to do this, ever, is to use Konsole and the option (for dnf command):

--enablerepo

this way users wonā€™t mess up and upgrade their system with an incorrect repo enabled. And users need to know if you wrongly upgrade OM Lx 4.1 system you canā€™t really downgrade. To fix you have to do a fresh install. :smiling_imp: OM Lx can upgrade to Cooker or Rolling but not downgrade.

I bet the mess comes from random picks in Discover and/or dragora GUIs.

1 Like

It is no secret that the vast majority of posts in this forum about ā€œUpdates did <what_ever>ā€ or ā€œUpdates broke <what_ever>ā€ involve systems upgraded with one of the gui tools for updating, either Discover or dnfdragora. There are reasons, technical and psychological, for thisā€¦

I wish we could get users to just stop using them. However it wonā€™t do much good to try to convince users of our stable system (currently Rock/Lx 4.1) not to use these tools when they are installed by default. In the case of Discover right in the menu panel where it pops up a dialog telling these users ot ā€œUpgrade meā€ ā€œWhat could possibly go wrong itā€™s a GUI!ā€. Thus I no longer ask for this but:

My belief is that there is no easier or better way for Linux users to get used to command line interface (cli) than with package management. Iā€™m talking about simply updating users system and installing or removing packages. It is simple to do, easy to understand, and the results or errors are right in front of you in writing. But people coming from Mandriva or Windows seem reluctant to see things this way. Iā€™m talking about simply updating users system and installing or removing packages.

I do believe if a user gets used to that other things involving or requiring the cli become less intimidating. One aspect of this is simply if a novice user does this they will use the cli (Konsole or terminal) over and over and that alone makes things less intimidating.

Iā€™d like we could patch Discover to hide the repository section to avoid newbiesā€™ random picks and so to force users to use the proper tool om-repo-picker aka Software Repository Selector.

1 Like

Yes getting all the repos out of Discover especially but perhaps all the way out of the operating system except the repos for that release would be a giant step in the right direction. IMO.

:grin:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.