ROCK USERS time to distro-sync to Lx 4.1

Note: GUI package managers provided in OM Lx dnfdragora and Discover will not do this type of upgrade called a “distribution upgrade”. If you try to upgrade from Lx 4.0 to 4.1 with dnfdragora or Discover you will break your system. Most likely you will break dnf and won’t have any package management. So please do this the recommended way.

OK, the OM Lx 4.1 release is upon us and the repositories have been created and are ready for users. This requires a “dnf disto-sync” not a “dnf upgrade”. Also there are a few additional dependency complications that require this to be a one time from command line procedure as follows:

1. $ sudo dnf remove java-12-openjdk ; sudo dnf --refresh --allowerasing distro-sync

When prompted to remove ‘java-12-openjdk’ and any dependent packages type y and hit enter. Note or copy and paste the dependent packages in case you want to reinstall them later. libreoffice help packages are usually listed, there may be others.

Removing:
 java-12-openjdk                                       x86_64                                12.0.1.ga-2                                   @rock-x86_64                                834 M
Removing dependent packages:
 libreoffice-help-en_GB                                x86_64                                6.2.4-2                                       @rock-x86_64                                 25 M
 libreoffice-help-en_US                                x86_64                                6.2.4-2                                       @rock-x86_64                                 25 M

Transaction Summary
=============================================================================================================================================================================================
Remove  3 Packages

Freed space: 885 M
Is this ok [y/N]: y

Then when it prompts again “Is this ok [y/N]” type y and hit enter. The transaction summary will be similar to this:

Transaction Summary
=============================================================================================================================================================================================
Install     344 Packages
Upgrade    1530 Packages
Remove        2 Packages
Downgrade     4 Packages

Total download size: 1.7 G
Is this ok [y/N]: y

There will also be some packages reinstalled. (For reasons known only to developers dnf in OM does not list reinstall.)

1. If dnf transaction completes without error Reboot.

2. $ sudo cp -a /etc/yum.repos.d/openmandriva-rock-x86_64.repo.rpmnew /etc/yum.repos.d/openmandriva-rock-x86_64.repo

3. re-enable users choice of repos

4. Optional but recommended to remove no longer used dependency packages:

$ sudo dnf autoremove :warning:

1. Enjoy OM Lx 4.1

:triangular_flag_on_post: Note: Do pay attention when using autoremove to be sure you don’t remove something you want to keep. If you copy and paste the removal list somewhere you can always add the package later.

Post-edit: Looks like I did not emphasize enough that a fresh install is always preferred to a distribution upgrade like this. In our testing the procedure above worked very well as far as we are able to test such things. Some users report “It works great not any problem” but other users do report problems. This is normal for this type of distribution upgrade. If after doing this procedure you do run in to problems then it is up to you to decide if you would rather try to problem solve issues or stop and do a fresh install.

2 Likes

IMPORTANT Note: Do not do this on an Lx 4.0 system it will break dnf. These commands are for Lx 4.1 systems only. (3 guess how I found out!)

Optional but recommended:

1. OM Lx 4.1 uses NX Firewall instead of Firewalld.

To install NX Firewall and remove Firewalld:

$ sudo dnf --refresh swap --allowerasing firewalld nx-firewall

1. OM Lx 4.1 has working Discover but this is not installed in the upgrade. To install:

$ sudo dnf install discover discover-notifier discover-backend-packagekit && sudo dnf remove dnfdragora-updater

1. Anything else? Yes there are a lot. Basically at this point users doing this are getting the 4.0 package list upgraded to 4.1 packages. But they are not getting the same packages as a fresh install of 4.1 so they aren’t getting all the new stuff we have done. So if you can do a fresh install instead of upgrading that would be best. However this upgrade has been tested on multiple systems on hardware and in VirtualBox.

Edit: Post updated with suggested changes 2020-02-11

Yes now it is time, see this.

Now your Firewall frontend is in Plasma SystemSettings:

This next step I had to do only in VirtualBox, was not necessary on hardware install tests:

Discover takes a minute or two to load where it shows this;

Then when Discover finishes loading:

Some more packages to install to get the new things in OM Lx 4.1:

1. om-feeling-like
  2. om-repo-picker
  3. om-update-config
  4. om-user-manager

In one command to copy and paste:

$ sudo dnf --refresh install om-user-manager om-feeling-like om-repo-picker om-update-config

That should get most or maybe even all the new Lx 4.1 stuff in to users Rock systems. If anyone knows of anything else please let us know here.

1 Like

So what are those things listed in my previous post:

1. om-feeling-like

1. om-repo-picker

1 Like
  1. om-update-config

1. om-user-manager

1 Like

How to: How to OMLx 4.1 feeling like macOS Mojave (Desktop Presets)

1 Like

How to: How to set the user avatar in OMLx 4.0

1 Like

I’ve prepared new task-plasma which recommends these packages to install.
So on new update packages you mentioned will be pulled in.

1 Like

discover-notifier should be added too along with discover, and dnfdragora-updater removed.

1 Like

Edited post 2 accordingly.

So looks like task-plasma is not installed by default. So one way for Lx 4.0 user to get the full Lx 4.1 experience is after doing the ‘distro-sync’ procedure in first post above then:

$ sudo dnf install task-plasma

Here’s the task-plasma package list.

That is true. This mens if task-plasma is not installed on iso, we need to produce threads like this “How to get new desktop features, after you run update”. Quite insane.

There is nothing insane about that.

1 Like

IMPORTANT Note: Do not do this on an Lx 4.0 system it will break dnf. This command is for Lx 4.1 systems only. (3 guess how I found out!)

To upgrade to everything I’m/we’re aware of different in Lx 4.1 from Lx 4.0 all in one copy and paste command:

sudo dnf --refresh swap --allowerasing firewalld nx-firewall ; sudo dnf install discover discover-notifier discover-backend-packagekit om-user-manager om-feeling-like om-repo-picker om-update-config ; sudo dnf remove dnfdragora-updater

I’m not positive I’m correct about this but I was thinking that developers were trying to stop using task-plasma so users could remove individual KDE/Plasma packages if they so choose. I do know this has been an occasional complaint from some users forever, going back to Mandriva. I guess so some people can have a minimal Plasma desktop. Or so people can remove packages they just don’t like.